A Mundane But Useful Household Build

A few months ago, I was preparing some keto buns in the kitchen & broke the spatula I was using. I got out another spatula & finished the job, & left the broken spatula in the kitchen drawer. Yesterday, I finally got around to designing & printing a replacement handle:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“243”,“width”:“411”,“data-attachmentid”:6453}[/ATTACH]

Obviously it’s not anything special, but it will hopefully make the spatula useable again. I printed it with clear PETG. And, if it proves to not be strong enough, I will modify the design to make it stronger & print another 1. There is, however, still 1 test it has to pass: the dishwasher. Can it take the heat. I suspect it can, but it remains to be proven.

I have the exact handle as a left over. I used the rubbery part for my GeitPrinter to rub the nozzle clean.

The acrylic handle now acts as a back scratchier. :smiley:

I love the ability of 3d printing to save broken stuff that would have otherwise ended in the dumpster. Well done.

It will depend on how your dishwasher is set as to its ability to handle a hot water wash cycle. If Wikipedia is correct “mechanical dishwasher cleans by spraying hot water, typically 45 and 75 °C (110 and 170 °F)” you should be ok depending on the PETG your use. The glass transition temperature of most PETG is around 88C or 190F.

My hot water is set to 120F and, IIRC, it doesn’t heat the water any more from there.