Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny bird house

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Funny bird house

    My wife said that we needed a new bird house. I thought to myself, design a bird house and print it. I wanted something that I could take apart easily for cleaning or changing panels, and no gluing. It also had to be funny! That is how the idea was born. I was able to accomplish all requirements, well almost all. I had designed the perch to have a flexible part that when the perch is installed it would latch. But, I discovered two things: 1. the idea was functional 2. the perch was too small and the flexible part broke the first time I tried it. But that was ok.

    The design consists of six panels (roof, floor, 4 sides), eight pins, and a perch. The roof and floor have slots to allow the tabs of the sides to slide through. The left and right panel tabs are a little longer with a hole and a slot (not unlike a skeleton key lock). The pins look like a simplified skeleton key. I designed the pins so that the top pins when "locked" in place would not fall out. Same for the pins on the bottom of the house. It was a matter of being aware of where the slots were in the side panels.

    The most challenging part of the design were the slots for the roof. I use OnShape as my design tool and to my surprise it is very similar to the tool that I used in my previous employ (Pro-E). Therefore the learning curve was not very steep at all. I wanted the roof to have a slant. So, the "upper" tabs on the two side panel were straight up in the "Z" direction. That meant that the slots in the roof had to be "slanted". I created an assembly of all of the parts. Then I created the slots in the roof "in the assembly", that made sure that they were in the correct location and had the correct angle. I also made some small test parts to verify clearances required for easy assembly and disassembly. I used pictures from a Google search as my inspiration for the left side, right side, and roof. I do not remember how long it took me to design this, but who cares! I HAD A BLAST DOING IT!

    It took about 4 hours to print each panel.

    Something that I learned: I have a Adimlab Pro Gantry printer. This is a single filament printer. The first layer height was .3 mm. Each successive layer is .2 mm. I made my panels 6.0 mm thick. The graphics were on top of the panel (I think the graphics were 1.0 mm tall, I do not remember). That worked great for the back and the floor (they do not have any graphics on them). But the right, left, front, and roof were an issue. I had the slicer set to print solid for three layers top and bottom. I knew that I wanted to do a change filament when the printer started to print the graphics. If we consider 6.0 mm thickness and subtract .3 mm (first layer height) we are left with 5.7 mm. 5.7 mm divided by .2 mm (the remainder layer height) does not work well. I got some really strange things happening. So my first panel had some issues. I am not sure how the slicer algorithm works, so it is an enigma to me how it does the math when the last layer is not an even multiple of the remainder layer height. Not sure if all of that rambling makes sense to anyone. But the solution was extremely simple! Make the panel height an odd number. Then after the initial layer of .3 mm. The height left to print will always be an integer multiple of the remainder layer height. Short answer: If your first layer is an odd number and your remaining layers is an even number. You feature height should be an odd number.

    I have only made one, I ended up giving it to my mother for Mother's Day. She did not believe that I made it. When I told her that I did. She wanted to know how, of course she thought that I was kidding when I said that it is melted plastic and a computer instructs the machine were to place the plastic.

    Thanks for making this forum available!

    Don

  • #2
    LOL I like it Always good to have a sense of humor!

    Comment

    Working...
    X