Hook to Mount on Car Headrest Post to Hang Bags, Purses, Etc.

Some of you may recall reading this thread, https://forum.drvax.com/forum/comput…lenge#post4260, about my design for a hook that can slip around the mounting post of a car’s headrest. I wanted to do it in FreeCAD, but the filleting proved a bit daunting, so I fell back to Fusion 360.

In any case, here’s a photo of the 1st interation:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: _MG_3584.jpg Views: 0 Size: 816.1 KB ID: 4424”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“4424”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]
I printed it with Hello 3D Carbon Black PETG. It came out great. It’s as strong a heck, and fits on the headrest post with a beautiful friction grip. It really couldn’t be better that way. However, it did prove to be just a bit shorter than ideal. It’s still very useable, but it would be nicer if it stuck out a little more past the back of the seat. And, my wife mentioned it would be nice to have it in a brighter color.

So, I increased the overall length from 75mm to 100mm. This time I printed it in translucent red PETG:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: _MG_3580.jpg Views: 0 Size: 979.0 KB ID: 4425”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“4425”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“206”,“width”:“369”}[/ATTACH]
Again, it is strong as heck (which is a good thing considering how heavy my wife’s purse is). It also fits the headrest post beautifully. BTW, the post is 12.48mm in diameter and I made the hole 13mm in the design. It’s a great combination.

Here’s another shot taken from 1 end:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: _MG_3581.jpg Views: 0 Size: 932.1 KB ID: 4426”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“4426”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]

And another on its side:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: _MG_3583.jpg Views: 0 Size: 1,000.8 KB ID: 4427”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“4427”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]

Finally, here’s a shot of the 2 of them together, to show the relative size:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: _MG_3587.jpg Views: 0 Size: 1.00 MB ID: 4428”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“4428”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]

I chose the translucent red for the final version because: first, my wife wanted a bright color and second, because it matches the color of the car.

Now, maybe it’s just me, but I can’t help thinking how the finished design somehow looks like a weird humanoid. The final shot of the 2 together reminds me of a couple lying on the beach on vacation. And, I can’t help thinking that they look familiar. In the back of my mind I’m sensing that there was an animated story where the characters looked almost exactly like this. The hole was where they each had a large eye. I can’t think what it was called, or even where I saw it, but it’s a little uncanny.

So, there it is. My wife will let me know if it’s still too short, too long, or if it’s a Goldilocks moment.

Nice! I’ve been following your travails to my benefit. I now know to learn more about datum planes!

Do you have a photo of hook installed? I’m having trouble visualizing how it works.

Anyway, thanks again for posting!

Cheers

Good to hear you’re piggybacking off my experience. That’s 1 of the main reasons I joined.

And thank you for reminding me to take in situ photos of the hanger; I completely forgot to take them. So, here they are:

Here’s an overview of the hanger in place:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:4434}[/ATTACH]

A closeup of the hanger in situ:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:4435}[/ATTACH]

An overview of the hanger in use:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:4436}[/ATTACH]

And, lastly, a closeup of the hanger in use:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:4437}[/ATTACH]

As I’m sure you will agree, it wouldn’t take much to adjust the size of the hole, and overall length, to adapt the hanger to virtually any car.

It looks good and seems quite practical. Is the PETG much stronger than PLA? I know PLA is no good for hot cars.

PETG is stronger in that it can stand heat better and has “flexible strength”. By that I mean it will bend and spring back where PLA will break. That said, I am not able to bend either of these hooks with my hands.

As to practicality, it means my wife’s purse will stay put while she’s driving around. No more sliding off the seat divider onto the floor, or onto the back seat floor. It won’t take up seat space, so there will be more room for passengers (not that we have any passengers during the pandemic).

Ahh, I finally understand what this was ment for :smiley:

Glad I could clear it up ? As I’ve said all along, my purpose in getting a 3D printer was to make things I can’t buy or are too expensive. This is 1 of them. There are many hooks available like this, but they have at least 1, and often more, fatal flaws. The biggest flaw is they have an opening in them so the hanger can be snapped around the headrest post. These innevitably fail; they pull off and become useless. My wife asked if I could come up with something that would work properly, and reliably. This is my answer. Now it just needs to stand the test of time. [SIZE=28px]?[/SIZE]

I think it’s now clear as to why I wanted it so heavily filleted: I absolutely don’t want to cause any creases or sharp edges that could damage purse straps.

Thank you for the pictures! My wife is a creature of habit and puts her purse on the floorboard on the passenger side, but I’ll ask if she is willing to try something new! ?

Cheers

Nothing better than a gadget that actually makes your life easier.

I forgot to mention, if anyone wants to print their own, just post here and I’ll upload the F360 and STL files. My daughter has already put in her order for 1.