My first real print using supports

I have been looking for a way to make bed levelling easier without resorting to an EZABL or BL Touch. On Thingiverse I found [U]https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4166385[/U]. It seemed like a decent compromise between manual and automated levelling. I printed it using Hatchbox PETG (235C nozzle, 80C bed, 0.2mm layer, 80mm/sec print speed):

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:3584}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:3585}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:3586}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:3587}[/ATTACH]

I know, there is some very fine stringing, but it’s nothing much, easy to fix, and won’t affect its functionality at all.

The supports came off pretty easily. There is some residual roughness. I may or may not bother to remove it. Come to think of it, it might be a good subject for testing a smoothing iron like the one DrVAX showed in one of his videos.

Here’s the print after being de-supported:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-tempid”:“temp_593_1599583131335_979”}[/ATTACH][IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“src”:“https://forum.drvax.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==”}[/IMG2]​

Here it is with the dial micrometer I bought from Amazon:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-tempid”:“temp_594_1599583292121_728”}[/ATTACH][IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“src”:“https://forum.drvax.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==”}[/IMG2]​
At first I was worried the stem wouldn’t be long enough to reach past the nozzle, but I was worrying for nothing. The micrometer fits the print perfectly (nice friction grip) and the print fits the printer beautifully (picture to follow).

One of my main purposes for this is so that I can change print bed surfaces more quickly and accurately.

Thought I would post a couple or shots of the support structure:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:3657}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:3658}[/ATTACH]

It weighs just barely 7 grams. With what I paid for the filament, it amounts to around 24 cents. Not bad.

The 1st test fitting of the guage bracket to my Ender 5:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:3592}[/ATTACH]
Of course, there’s no bolts fitted yet. The Thingiverse model doesn’t mention anything about post processing, but I figure the hole for the bolt on the right end , and the one to lock the guage to the bracket will need to be tapped.

Rule #1 on Thingiverse or elsewhere.
-> No Photo -> No one ever tried it and you are the test bunny.
Rule #2 on Thingiverse or elsewhere
-> Before printing read the comments of the part actually fits, works whatever.

Many people just dump their files on Thingiverse and co without big thinking. Often they modelled the parts using try and error. They adjusted the part instead of calibrating the printer first. In the end parts turn out to big or to small for the rest of the world, because these people based their measurements on the result from their printers.

Speaking of support: I always use the Cura default. Works for me all the time.

Agreed. I mentioned it because I want people to be aware that there isn’t any further info. Now, the linked video is informative about how to use the bracket, and I will almost certainly replay it again before using the guage on my printer. As for the fit, as I said it fits perfectly. In fact, I was a little surprised at how well it fit.

I like that basic design, especially that the dial micrometer can be set so much lower than the one I printed.