Dr. Vax Cable Holder Re-Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Vax Cable Holder Re-Mix

I enjoy Irv's clear, concise FreeCAD tutorials so much I created a variation of Irv's cable holder.

I adjusted the table clamping widths. I reduced the top clamp to only 7mm and I did not angle the bottom table clamp, but sloped it for easier printing. I also shortened slots and added a groove to set the connectors in.

Irv's FreeCAD tutorial is excellent but I prefer to switch to the Mesh work bench and manually create the mesh object and not rely on the mesh export defaults in the Parts Design workbench.

You can slice the STL file with supports but I dislike trimming supports. I paused the print at layer 178 (26.7mm) and scotch taped a piece of folded cardboard at the top of the vertical riser that acted like a support and got a decent print. If you adjust the thickness of your clamp for your table that layer number will, of course, differ.

You may find the STL and FCStd files here

Attached Files
    Last edited by gjpc; 06-01-2021, 05:54 PM.

Well done. Thanks for sharing your work.

P.S. You might want to lower your print temperature a bit and maybe increase your retraction to reduce stringing.

Comment

Thanks Irv,

Any chance you may allow sharing FCStd files, being that you are tutoring us in FreeCAD?

BTW I cut my teeth on a PDP 11/40 in 1973 and used practically all the PDP's and VAX's. My first home computer was a PDP 11/23

Comment

gjpc I started with PDP-8s in college back when the "big" computer was an IBM 360.

I will check you should be able to attach FCStd files. If you cannot I will add the extension in the next 10 minutes.

Comment

Yup, my little PDP 11/40 was a HASP station for the "big" 360 on the Rutgers campus. Oh those wonderful days of 16KB of core!

Comment

I just check and fcstd of up to 2000000 bytes are supported as attachments.

P.S. I had not heard the term "HASP" in a very long time. The PDP-8 I used had a paper tape reader. It all seems easy today -- but with so many choices in some ways, it is harder. I am planning a new Javascript APP and just picking a framework is taking me days. I will probably end up with VUE and maybe one of the theme sets available.

Comment

Confirmed, I was able to upload the FCStd & the STL. The message on the upload button "Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif" confused me.

Comment

Just for anyone who's never heard of it: HASP = Houston Automatic Spooling Priority. It was a software feature of the IBM 360 mainframe operating system that controlled input & output of computer jobs. 1 of its most visible features was the handling of print jobs.

Back in the day, mainframe computer time was very expensive (as in $200/min, & that's in 1960's & 1970's $). Having a mainframe take care of print jobs was considered a waste of CPU cycles. So smaller, cheaper computers were set up to take care of it. The mainframe would use HASP to 'spool' the print jobs to the secondary computers, which would then take care of the actual printing. Quite a number of organizations used DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) so-called mini computers like the PDP-8 & PDP-11 to handle print jobs.

Irv Shapiro, please, please jump in if my memory is failing me. Like you said, it has been a very long time since HASP was a 'thing' (just like JCL )

Comment

Originally posted by irvshapiro View Post
                  I just check and fcstd of up to 2000000 bytes are supported as attachments.

P.S. I had not heard the term "HASP" in a very long time. The PDP-8 I used had a paper tape reader. It all seems easy today -- but with so many choices in some ways, it is harder. I am planning a new Javascript APP and just picking a framework is taking me days. I will probably end up with VUE and maybe one of the theme sets available.
                  JavaScript????? shame 🔔 Shame 🔔 SHame 🔔 SHAme 🔔 SHAMe 🔔 SHAME 🔔

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
                    Just for anyone who's never heard of it: HASP = Houston Automatic Spooling Priority. It was a software feature of the IBM 360 mainframe operating system that controlled input & output of computer jobs. 1 of its most visible features was the handling of print jobs.

Back in the day, mainframe computer time was very expensive (as in $200/min, & that's in 1960's & 1970's $). Having a mainframe take care of print jobs was considered a waste of CPU cycles. So smaller, cheaper computers were set up to take care of it. The mainframe would use HASP to 'spool' the print jobs to the secondary computers, which would then take care of the actual printing. Quite a number of organizations used DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) so-called mini computers like the PDP-8 & PDP-11 to handle print jobs.

Irv Shapiro, please, please jump in if my memory is failing me. Like you said, it has been a very long time since HASP was a 'thing' (just like JCL )
                    Our little Human Experimental Laboratory PDP 11 only did HASP for Psychology department members on demand. We ran Digital DOS, RT11, RSX11/M and UNIIX V. My other job was over at Bell Murray Hill extending UNIX with K&R. But I really did love experimenting on undergraduate Psych students. 🧀

Oh, and Irv Shapiro it booted off a tape reader

Comment

Working...
                    X