Ideas for a New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for a New Project

OK, this post isn't about pictures of a new build. It's about input for a new project, which could lead to photos.

The project is to design & print vaccuum storage cases for spools of filament. I started by looking at this model: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3016906

The main issue with that design is that it's not designed to be airtight. My idea is to design the box so a small vaccuum cleaner can be used to suck out most of the air. I also want it to incorporate a silica gel box.

For me, the 1st main issue is how to design the vaccuum seal mechanism. It has to be easy to use with a small vaccuum cleaner. Of course, it has to be easy to break the vaccuum seal, so the box can be opened. I'm wondering if a simple, flexible rubber membrane that moves up when the vaccuum cleaner is applied & then it gets sucked down to block vent holes once the vaccuum cleaner is removed.

Ender5r,
    Last year, decided to do something similar and ended up using storage bags like this that I got off Ebay:
    <https://www.ebay.com/itm/193901384974?hash=item2d256c550e:gaEAAOSw1q1gG7vt>

I have some filament in one bag that has been there for almost a year and it is still mostly holding a seal. Are they perfect, NO, but a lot better than just sitting out in open air and I do put some desiccant in when sealing them up. Bought a bulk supply and make small containers out of old spice shakers and when used, can rejuvenate them. In my case to suck them down, use a vacuum pump that is on my router which will pull nearly 25" HG!

Country Bubba

Comment

thx for the feedback. I have looked at the the vaccuum bags. Not a bad solution, but I was hoping for something that will hold its shape better, so it will sit on a shelf nicely. The idea of using old spice containers is interesting. How bout this: use Old Spice deoderant stick containers with a bunch of holes drilled through them?

Comment

Yep, any thing like that and on mine for a cover over the end, use some coffee maker filter paper to allow some airflow and keep the granules in!

Country Bubba

Comment

The deoderant stick has a lid of course, so I shouldn't even need filter paper. Nice.

Comment

Working...
          X