Cant follow your tutorial on FreeCad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant follow your tutorial on FreeCad

I am studying your first tutorial on FreeCad My OS is Mac OS and I downloaded Freecad 0.1922246 but your version is 0.1921775 and your screen is very different from mine Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 2.54.47 PM.png
Views:	83
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	2580Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 2.54.47 PM.png
Views:	283
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	2579

That's the issue with technology in general, and open source in particular. With open source you have to rely on the kindness of strangers to produce manuals/videos on how to use it. Commercial software companies have to produce learning materials if they ever hope to sell any copies.

One thing you might try: get a hold of the same version of FreeCAD as Irv is using, learn it, then do what everyone who's been using FreeCAD for years did: learn the differences in each new version. Yes, it's more work, but it will give you a lot more exposure to the software, so you'll understand it better.

Comment

• Mac-7
      Mac-7 commented
      Editing a comment
      How can I find the same version Dr Vax is using?

When you first start the application you get the start page. You need to use the cycle showing "start page" and turn it to "part design". That is your starting point.

You also can drag the tool bar around in sections to place them to your liking. This by default can look different as FreeCAD is folding some toolbars to make the default layout fit the screen with just to lines of tools.

Icons and layout change a lot these days as the 0.19 is getting closer to a final release.

However, when you have problems just ask for what you don´t find what issues you have.
    Last edited by Geit; 08-14-2020, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geit View Post
      When you first start the application you get the start page. You need to use the cycle showing "start page" and turn it to "part design". That is your starting point.

You also can drag the tool bar around in sections to place them to your liking.

I did begin with “parts design” because thats what Dr Vax did in the tutorial

but I made a little progress by dragging the tool bars around as you suggest

however I still dont see the same tool selection that Dr Vax has

and he is referencing tools that I dont have

Comment

I'll bet that the tools are there, they're just in a different menu now, or have a different name. It can get confusing; one reason I went with Fusion 360, even though they've changed menus too, it's not so often, or so drastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
          I'll bet that the tools are there, they're just in a different menu now, or have a different name. It can get confusing; one reason I went with Fusion 360, even though they've changed menus too, it's not so often, or so drastic.
          I’m sure you are right

the problem is me not FreeCad or Dr Vax

but unless I can get on exactly the same page he’s on I cannot follow his tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-7 View Post

but I made a little progress by dragging the tool bars around as you suggest

however I still dont see the same tool selection that Dr Vax has

and he is referencing tools that I dont have
            You´ll find all tools also under the "part design" or "Sketcher" menu, depending on where you are. By default all options are pretty much visible by default as buttons. I guess in your case some menu collapsed and only shows a view icons and a little one behind. It you hover over it a pop up with the rest will appear. FreeCAD does that when the screen is to small to hold an entire group. It shortens it and creates a popup for them.

FreeCAD is not changing that much. The look of the icons changes from time to time, which can be confusion, but basically the general look stays the same. I have a dis-function and a problem of "reading" icons. I remember them by location mostly. Buttons with similarities are hard for me. And all those buttons with a red dot aren´t making it easier for me.

I wait for the day Fusion360 drops the private use and everyone has the choice to pay a few hundred bucks a year or to loose their models. Other companies did the same. Luring the potential customers into and then set a fee to pay or go, when you are deep enough inside the eco system. It would not even be the first CAD software doing so.

Last edited by Geit; 08-14-2020, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Mac-7
              Mac-7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Is fusion 360 easier to learn?

• Geit
              Geit commented
              Editing a comment
              I don´t think so. It is just more popular at the moment as it got a giant push through the make scene over the last couple of years. With 3D printers, lasers and CNC devices you can buy cheap or build on your own, more and more private people had interest in that kind of software.

• Ender5r
              Ender5r commented
              Editing a comment
              For me, I did find F360 easier. Please note, I said easier, not easy. It took a while to get my head around some of the stuff. With FreeCAD I kept getting frustrated by the way it organizes things. I never seemed to be able to quickly and easily find what I was looking for. In some cases, when I wanted to do a certain thing, I didn't even know what I was supposed to be looking for. I don't blame FreeCAD (or F360 for that matter). I think it's just certain people will find FC easier and others will fined F360 easier. Try both, pick the one that seems to work best for you.

I had some free time today and your post gave me the excuse to start learning FreeCAD--something I've been putting off. I was able to complete the first of Irv's tutorials using version 0.18-16146, which crashed on me once. I was able to find all the commands that Irv uses. It helped me to re-arrange the toolbars at the top so that all their icons were showing (which Irv must have done prior to making his video). Grab the dotted lines of the bar and move it down so that a new layer for toolbars appears and drop the grabbed one there. This way you can get them to expand fully. In one case, "coincident constraint", I had to use the help menu to search for the location of the command in the menus (in 0.18 the icon is a red dot; not the same as in the tutorial).

If there is a specific command that you cannot find, let me know and I'll try to find it.

Cheers

Comment

• Mac-7
              Mac-7 commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m not surprised that you did well. I cant explain why my downloaded version is so different from the tutorial. Maybe I’m just a slow learner. But I dont think it would be so easy if you had the screen I’m looking at. This is really starting to frustrate me

[QUOTE=Alan;n2644In one case, "coincident constraint", I had to use the help menu to search for the location of the command in the menus (in 0.18 the icon is a red dot; not the same as in the tutorial).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there is the coincident constraint and the normal dot, which look very similar. They fixed that in more recent versions giving the constrains some diagonal beam effect.

More recent versions crash far less than early 0.18 versions. They have done alot in that department since changing the version to 0.18. The main issue when using linux is that the exception handler is missing. On windows (no clue about OSX) it just pops an error in the console when an exception occurs. On linux the application gets terminated instantly and unsaved work is lost.

So frequent saving is a must. You may also tweak the auto backup settings. Recently for me those only happened when using campfer or fillets, but I am using a 0.19 beta with a lot of additional changes and fixes planed for 0.20.

Comment

Mac-7 Did you re-arrange the toolbars to show all the icons?

Cheers

Comment

• Mac-7
                Mac-7 commented
                Editing a comment
                No, I never could find it. But I am looking at Fusion 360 and it looks more promising. There are several good tutorials on it. FreeCad may be outstanding for those who can use it. But so far its been useless to me. I guess its for more advanced users

I hear you on the FC learning curve. If you are going to look at F360, I recommend Paul McWhorter's YT video series, "Learn Fusion 360 or Die Trying".

Comment

• Mac-7
                Mac-7 commented
                Editing a comment
                I will add that to my list. Because sometimes one more video will tell me something I didnt see anywhere else

Paul was frustrated trying to learn F360 himself, so he made a video series for people like himself, and me.... and, it sounds like you perhaps.

Comment

Mac-7 It would be helpful to know exactly what command or step has stumped you (e.g., the timestamp of Irv's video).

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	876069D9-EF0C-4725-BBF5-990E189BBF11.png Views:	0 Size:	612.3 KB ID:	2661Click image for larger version  Name:	512DED3E-B1AA-42F6-867C-4AE201597F6A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	2662
                  Dr Vax is on the left and my screen is on the right

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
                    I hear you on the FC learning curve. If you are going to look at F360, I recommend Paul McWhorter's YT video series, "Learn Fusion 360 or Die Trying".
                    Yes, I know Paul McWhorter from His arduino tutorials. They were very good

Comment

Working...
                    X