Help me trouble shoot odd lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me trouble shoot odd lines

Hi everyone. I’m really hopping I can get some direction here. No one has been able to seem to help me. It’s been very difficult expressing to people in text what the issue I’m seeing is but I think this print will help. This is printed with a profile I created from watching DrVax video on setting up a cura profile. And it brought huge improvements over the stock profile. I am getting these odd lines on flat areas opposite an area where a step or floor/top is printed. This print is a perfect example. You can see how every layer of the “wedding cake” causes a line to show up on the tower portion. And those lines are on all four sides of that tower. It isn’t layer shift and it isn’t at any specific height in a print. It’s just whenever a floor or flat area is printed it will show those areas on an opposing flat side. If there are no other flat spots for example just a plane cube or abstract part, it doesn’t really show. And what’s also interesting is it I am printing multiple parts at a time, when a shorter part is finished off, it will put that line into another part on the build plate. I have attached a picture to show it perfectly. I really think it’s a slider issue and not something physical with the machine because it doesn’t happen at a specific spot, direction, or area.

I have not experienced this myself, so following this thread. Looking at the cylinders, those layers look like temporary over-extrusions. You might try increasing the filament retraction setting in your slicer. It might help with the stringing and my thought is that it would reduce the pressure in the nozzle when traveling from the top layer of a finished surface (which usually has different slicer setting). It might help if you post your slicer settings, in particular those related to the top layer and travel.

You could also try slowing the print speed down to see if the problem still exists to eliminate the chances of a mechanical problems (which I doubt is the case here).

Keep us updated!

Cheers

Comment

I didn't find the first photo all that bad TBH, but I can see the issue with the small, round tower. Unfortunately, I don't have any insights to add.

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
        I didn't find the first photo all that bad TBH, but I can see the issue with the small, round tower. Unfortunately, I don't have any insights to add.
        I guess it isnt terrible but i know it isnt right. i really want to get this thing dialed in before i start printing actual items. i have some things i want to design, make, and eventually sell for a table top game and like my other products i make, i want them to be as best as i can make them before i offer them as a finished product for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          I have not experienced this myself, so following this thread. Looking at the cylinders, those layers look like temporary over-extrusions. You might try increasing the filament retraction setting in your slicer. It might help with the stringing and my thought is that it would reduce the pressure in the nozzle when traveling from the top layer of a finished surface (which usually has different slicer setting). It might help if you post your slicer settings, in particular those related to the top layer and travel.

You could also try slowing the print speed down to see if the problem still exists to eliminate the chances of a mechanical problems (which I doubt is the case here).

Keep us updated!

Cheers
          Ok. here are my setting from my .2mm profile.

Comment

oh. and i did do a retraction test and wow. that thing came out PERFECT! I cannot believe how well it turned out.

Comment

• shocky47
              shocky47 commented
              Editing a comment
              like the way that looks currently I am doing the imposible ball one and hopefully it works good, where did you get the file for that one.

Indeed, the towers look very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
              Indeed, the towers look very nice.
              i was not getting that nice of a result before building this profile from the Dr Vax youtube video on cura profiles. still get hella stringing on the torture test with those tall spires in my previous images. but then again i dont ever see me making something with that sharp of points.

Comment

Nice towers!

Originally posted by C1ph3r View Post
                Ok. here are my setting from my .2mm profile.
                Nothing jumps out at me with those settings (not surprising!). I set my machine to Z-Hop when retracted and when over printed parts. My travel speed is also set at 100 mm/s but I could probably bump that back up. Hopefully, Irv Shapiro has a moment and can weigh in!

Cheers

Comment

I have made a video specifically about optimizing for the towers on this print. You can check it out here:

Comment

Originally posted by irvshapiro View Post
                    I have made a video specifically about optimizing for the towers on this print. You can check it out here:
                    opps! Sorry for the lack of clarity. I was referring to the OP's "sympathetic" banding problems as seen in the pictures attached to the first post.

Off to watch the video! Thank you!

Cheers
                    Last edited by Alan; 06-18-2020, 10:27 AM. Reason: Removed video preview from quote

Comment

Originally posted by irvshapiro View Post
                      watching now. thanks for that. i didnt know you had a video for this specific stringing test. my two tower test is flawless so i wasn't looking to improve on it. but i am going to try and clean up the pointy tower test now.

i created this model to test my banding line issue. i do not have the measurements of the height of the circle towers. i did them random to help show that it isnt a spot in the vertical motion anywhere. i am pretty sure it is something in the slicer with how it is making the tops. whats interesting is the same banding lines arent on all 3 towers. most of them are on the one tower that is in the top right but the lower level line is on the bottom left. and the tower directly diagonal from the circle towers has just a faint line. what is also interesting is the X and Y letters, that are also at a random heights and lower than the lowest circle, didnt seem to cause a line on any of the other surfaces. The top down image is just to show the towers in relation to one another.

This is very curious. As someone mentioned, it is likely due to the top layer settings. but i have no idea what to change to test it. i also dont have a top skin layer defined. its just 0.
                      Attached Files

Comment

shocky47 i got the tower test from thingiverse here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2766430

Comment

• shocky47
                          shocky47 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          thank you i wil check it out

I wanted to add this to the thread. I changed my layer height down to .12 mm from .2 to start dialing in a finer profile. Well this is the result. It may actual help someone smarter than me to help figure out what’s causing this banding. So at every tier of the round tower there is fine stringing going to where the banding line is in the square tower adjacent. I don’t get any stringing on the .2 mm layer height. But it didn’t affect the banding. Not better or worse. Still the same. It was really hard for me to get the stringing to show up in a picture. It’s very fine but it shouldn’t be there.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I see it, right in the middle of the photo, between the 2 square towers. It is very fine, as you said.

Comment

Working...
                          X