Need a little help with PETG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help with PETG

I'm having trouble printing one project with PETG. The same project prints very clean with PLA, but PETG fails about half way through. This has several spires that just print a short time then retracts and jumps to the next one. After several tries, I found that the extruder has mashed the PETG down and will no longer advance through the tube. That extruder is just bouncing back and forth and just doesn't need to push much through before it has to retract. So just back and forth a few mm at a time, and just mashes it down. I have used this same filament on larger projects with longer filament runs and it prints very clean, so I don't think it's the filament. Anything you can think of?

temps? feedrate?

Comment

Ender 3 v2, temp 240/70, speed 150, flow rate 1.0/100%, acceleration 300, jerk 11, retraction speed 45, retraction dist 5.

Comment

I am betting that Ender 5r says that 240 C is too hot and he should try 175 C for everything after the first layer. I still have not opened my first roll of PETG which I bought a long time ago so don't listen to anything I say about PETG.

Comment

The universal fix (the "chicken soup", if you will) of 3D printing problems is to slow the print speed down. I'm impressed that you can print at 150 mm/s on a cartesian. I only do draft prints at those speeds on my delta. The column walls might not be forming properly at that speed; alternatively the plastic does not have enough time to cool (which could be fixed by setting a minimum layer time).

Good luck and let us know what fixes this for you!

Cheers

Comment

• smitty201
            smitty201 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks I'll try that. I'm real happy with larger project printing at 150, they come out real clean.

Yes, 150 is pretty fast. As a test, try 50. Also, do a temperature tower to find the sweet spot for temperature vs stringing.

Comment

I slowed it down to 35 and increased the temp to 243 to keep the extruder from bogging down, but that didn't help. I'll try a temp tower next, but that is on the back burner for now. Thanks for the help!

Comment

243C seems pretty high. Definitely time for a temp tower.

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
                243C seems pretty high. Definitely time for a temp tower.
                Agreed, the next thing I'd tackle is the stringing.

OT, do folks notice a difference between printing at 243 and 245? I change settings in 5C increments, but maybe its a function of the filaments and models that I printing.

Cheers

Comment

I doubt you will see much, if any, difference in print quality with only a 2 degree change.

Comment

sometimes, I don't see much of a difference between 10° increments when doing a temp tower where I do printing at 5° increments.
                    Country Bubba

Comment

@ smitty201
                      Are you printing in an enclosure? I find when printing with PETG, it’s better to have a constant temperature around the machine.

Comment

No enclosure. I'm printing with it now, no problem, but it's a larger print. It's doing fine. Still need to do a good temp test. Do you adjust anything else with PETG, other than temp?

Comment

Your picture shows a lot of stringing. Have you tried adjusting retraction settings? I’m printing on a direct drive machine, so my settings would differ slightly from yours.
                          Sounds like you are making progress, but if you want to supply the stl file, I could have a go at printing it, see if I have any problems.

Comment

I hope you have an all metal hotend. With temperatures around 230°C the ptfe tube inside the hotend is melting, shrinking and sending toxic fumes into the air.

If you are "lucky" and get not clogging you end up with a big chamber where filament gets cooked, before spit out. This will make the flow uncontrollable as even without pushing the filament will flow onto your print.
                            Last edited by Geit; 02-21-2021, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X