Slicer error ? Prusa and Cura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicer error ? Prusa and Cura

The error manifests itself in both applications.
    After the slice I no longer have the text on the pieces.
    What is the problem ?

Did you design it? If yes, what with?

Comment

Try to enable PRINT THIN WALLS and get rid of any HORIZONTAL EXPANSION you have set - if any.

Also we cant see what quality you are printing at. Small letters sometimes need smaller layer height and line width adjustments - just from personal experience with tiny letters on my Ender 5, I am no expert!

Comment

Try slicing the same part with a smaller nozzle profile. While the slicer can create extrusions somewhat smaller than the currently specified nozzle size, there is a limit and the results are often smaller. Try specifying a 0.25mm nozzle and see if the results improve. If not, you may need to use larger characters (or a thicker font) on the design.

Comment

Judging from the size of the letters as compared to the layers shown, the lettering seems very tiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
            Did you design it? If yes, what with?
            It's my design but it needs to be improved. See picture:

Comment

Originally posted by StumblingBumblingIdiot View Post
              Try to enable PRINT THIN WALLS and get rid of any HORIZONTAL EXPANSION you have set - if any.

Also we cant see what quality you are printing at. Small letters sometimes need smaller layer height and line width adjustments - just from personal experience with tiny letters on my Ender 5, I am no expert!
              👍 It worked, but the letters are too small. I have to redraw.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post

👍 It worked, but the letters are too small. I have to redraw.
                small suggestion: put the 20 above the mm (IOW, do 2 lines of print)

Comment

I have had the same issue. It will work if the letters are bigger. that is how I fixed it. Now something I think will help is what i've learned from DR VAX. Try slicing with CURA and do what he says to change. Go to Mesh Fixes, go down to Maximum Resolution and change it from .5 to .15. It could be not slicing correctly because Cura sees it as to fine of detail. What do you think Dr. Vax?

Comment

A number of factors are impacting your type. The first is that most FDM printers and the slicers designed for them will not do a very good job printing lines that are finer than the print nozzle you ware using. Therefore if you are trying to print type with features smaller than .40mm and using a .40mm nozzle you are going to have a hard time. When you think about it if you ask a printer to produce a line in the horizontal direction that is less than the nozzle width it is going to have to try and under extrude. This is difficult to do reliably.

As mentioned in other comments Cura will not even try and do this unless you enable the option "Print thin walls" which is in the Shell section. The definition provided by Cura is "Print pieces of the model which are horizontally thinner than the nozzle side". The key here is horizontal. Along the vertical or Z-axis, you can print layers that are thinner than the nozzle height. Common layers heights of 20mm and 16mm are much smaller than a typical .40mm nozzle. So if you really need small type you can consider putting the type on a vertical layer.

Thanks for the excellent question. I think I will use this discussion as the basis for a video.

Let's keep learning together.

Comment

Working...
                    X