Y Axis layer shifts, HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y Axis layer shifts, HELP!

What is causing these awful layer shifts? My printer was replaced by Monoprice (Maker Select Plus) and its still doing it. I thought it might be bad code from the source, but this happens on a few things i i prprt from different sources.

I'm at my wits end with this nonsense!

I had the same issue, see my thread here: https://forum.drvax.com/forum/3d-pri...-offset-issues

What print speed are you using. What is your bed surface? (glass, pei, magnetic etc), what your 3d printer? This seems to be common for printers that have the y axis move the bed. (like my ender 3, once i added the glass bed which added extra weight)

It can be caused by a few things:
    1. check your belts are tight. (can cause the slippage of teeth)
    2. check your bed adhesion (might be the print shifting, try using a larger raft)
    3. Lower your acceleration and jerk settings. (500mms acceleration and 8mms jerk - in your slicer settings)
    4. Print at slower print speed (50mms)
    5. Enable z hop

Once these are all done, you shouldnt have this issue.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Maximo101; 06-10-2020, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• shocky47
      shocky47 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Maximo 101,

we have been talking as well and I also have the monprice MP10 printer and the using the creality profile did seem to help alot as well and I also tighten the belt as well. I still have the problem on bed adhesion when I use a skirt and not raft for some reason. I also notice when I run the extruder temp up around 240 for PLA and the bed at 60 and slow it down on the first layer to 15 and the over speed down to 30 it seems to help depending on what I am printing. The only question that I do have when I want to get the bed sticky before i print I have used magigo and also elmers glue stick once they dry from the heat they are not sticky anymore. It seems I have to take a hot cloth with water and right before it prints wet it down ocne again. I am using the removable bed plate right now.

Below is a checklist for fixing layer shifts from a book I have. It overlaps with what you've checked and what Maximo101 posted. I posted the whole thing for completeness.

Hope it helps!
    • Clear the printing path of your carriages from any obstructions. – Zip tie all wires and loose cords, and maintain a clean printing area.
    • Confirm end stops are in the correct spots and that the frame is built correctly so that when you home the nozzle it is in the furthest part of the corner that it can be.
    • Check for errors in model or reslice if G-code is corrupted.
    • Increase z-hop, turn off combing, use lines for infill to prevent nozzle from hit- ting the print on large layer heights.
    • Make sure belts are tight enough (but not too tight).
    • Do not over tighten bed corners.
    • Make sure the rods are not dry or that any bearings are broken.
    • Replace any bent rods.
    • Reduce your acceleration and/or speed.
    • Increase or decrease the current going to your stepper drivers (if you are confi- dent the stepper is underpowered).
    • Check to see if your stepper or drivers are malfunctioning or overheating.
    • Make sure your pulleys are attached tight to your stepper motor shaft and can- not spin freely.
    • Replace or upgrade your pulleys.

Comment

I used glue briefly but now don't use anything on my glass bed. I just make sure it's clean with isopropyl alcohol 70% spray and wet lint free cloth. Ensure bed is level, nozzle perfect distance for first layer and initial layer speed 25mm then slow layers 2-3 then 50mm speed for the test of the print.
      you may need to do flow test and adjust the flow accordingly.

Comment

I don't use anything on my glass be either. I find that a bed temp of 60C is good for PLA, while I use 80C for PETG. BTW, the glass I use is just a piece of picture frame glass I had sitting in the basement. I but it to fit, and it's working great.

Oh, Maximo101, don't you find the smell of the alcohol evaporating of the hot bed kind of like maple syrup? It seems quite sweet to me.

Comment

I have another question how do you keep the picture glass to stay on the bed and I just got a Roll or makerbot PLA 3.0 orange filament and My roll that I got with my machine monprice MP10 came with a 1.75 can I use the 3.0 with the machine alone as I set the right materail in the settings

Comment

AFAIK, you cannot use 3mm (or 2.85mm) filament on a 1.75mm printer.

I keep the glass on my print bed using bulldog clips.

Comment

okay the small ones you can buy at the home depot or harbor frieght

Comment

I use ones like these: https://www.staples.com/Acco-72020-B...product_650963

Click image for larger version

Name:	bulldogclip.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	881

Comment

thank you and that is just regular picture glass

Comment

Yes, it's just regular glass. I wasn't sure it would be OK, but I had it in the basement, so I thought I'd give it a try, mainly to see if it would crack under the temperature changes, which it hasn't..... at least not yet.

Comment

okay would you suggest it over the black bed plate that comes with it and here are the pictures of what the first layer looks like and a finish boat as well. Let me know if you have any suggestions that might help. the boat printed great now I am printing a jungle boat.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I still have the black magnetic bed, but I'm using the glass instead. It seems to be working quite well, and glass gives a nicer finish on the bottom and should be flatter.

Comment

I am to right now but I may go and get some picture glass and try it as well to see if it turns out better

Comment

I also use 'alligator' clips to hold my glass bed down
                            I like this other boat, it actually floats and my kids love playing with it in the bath

Comment

• shocky47
                              shocky47 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              nice looking pieces I like the two boats did you down load them from someplace if so I would love to try and print them as well.
                          Working...
                          X