Ender 5 Pro DirectDrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ender 5 Pro DirectDrive

I found a much simpler solution to catch the extruder. An 8 cm piece of 2020 profile, but two holes must be made in the wheel plate. I still haven't decided if I will do it direct-drive. The extruder is very heavy 435 g !!! Does it work on X axis? It's worth transforming ?

As I said in the other thread, I like the idea. It's a little hard to see exactly how you intend to mount this to the X axis. Can you post some more photos?

Re: direct drive in general. Yes, I do believe it's worth it. I do plan to use much more flexible filaments for some products in the future (e.g. TPU, Ninjaflex). Trying to push those filaments through a Bowden tube, even one from Capricorn, I think is a challenge. I have used my Ender 5 with direct drive for about 10 days now, and haven't noticed any degradation in quality.

The one negative I have noticed is that the extruder stepper motor gets much hotter than the X, Y, Z motors. I'm not sure why, but the difference is enough that the heat actually softens the PLA adapter plate and lets it flex a bit. I want to mount a 40mm fan on the side of the stepper motor to cool it.
    Last edited by Ender5r; 06-12-2020, 01:10 AM.

Comment

I'll try to do it next week. But I don't promise. When I do, I'll post enough photos to figure out what I did.

Comment

Testing. 7 mm are missing. But I think I have a solution. I'll be back soon.

Comment

Looks like it's coming along. I like the height of the extruder - just enough gap between the 2 couplers. I like the alignment between the 2 couplers - it looks like they're aligned really well.

I do see how the 2020 rail is a bit too wide to let you drill a hole in the stock mounting plate and use a bolt & t-nut to fasten the rail to the plate. However, it appears in the photo that the 2020 is not square. What if you were to turn it so the narrow edge was towards the plate? If that would allow you to successfully use a t-nut, my only concern would be that you only have room for 1 attachment point. I would worry that it wouldn't be rigid enough. But perhaps there would be enough for 1 bolt right near the top and a 2nd 10mm to 15 mm lower down.

BTW, does everyone in the whole world use the same calipers? Mine are exactly the same. 😁
          Last edited by Ender5r; 06-12-2020, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
            ... my only concern would be that you only have room for 1 attachment point. I would worry that it wouldn't be rigid enough...
            It is mandatory to have two points for attachment.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post

It is mandatory to have two points for attachment.
              I agree; very dicey to only have 1. What about turning the 2020 rail 90 degrees: possible?

Comment

What about turning the 2020 rail 90 degrees: possible?
                I did not understand.

Comment

Sorry about that. From the photo(s) it appears the 2020 rail is not square. Is that correct? If yes, then it appears you have the wide side up against the stock mounting plate. In that case would it be possible to spin the rail so the narrow side is up against the plate?

Comment

It is square. It is the same profile as the hotend rail.
                    Photography is just one example. The pieces are held by hand.

Comment

Ah, I see. It just looked non-square in the photo. Too bad; it does make the job a little harder.

Comment

I succeeded. From the first !!!
                        https://photos.app.goo.gl/GzAsYWyrQCZnMLHv7

Comment

So you shifted the entire Z axis to the left to compensate for the space taken up by the 2020 addition?

Comment

So you shifted the entire Z axis to the left to compensate for the space taken up by the 2020 addition?
                            Not. I just moved the endstop to the right.

Comment

I didn't think there was enough room to fully compensate. Good work.

Comment

Working...
                              X