lines in my prints.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lines in my prints.

Hello everyone. And Thank Dr Vax for your channel and all the help. It is very helpful and you explain very well. Thanks.

I'm very new at this world. Trying to understand all tips we can find on the net and obviously on Dr Vax's channel. I think I succeed pretty good considering all the new stuff I learned in less than 2 weeks. But I obviously started too big I guess. But I wanted to created something from myself to give to my children for Christmas. So... I have no time to waste ;-)

OK, My equipment: Ender 3 V2 (updated to 1.0.2 firmware. It has the 4.2.2 board.
    I use freecad and Cura, and the walknet to bring the files in the ender 3.

The problem is happening only when I print using the print quality 0.16. It kind of shifting a few layers. I have read about it and it is often caused by temperature setting. I have to say that when I used 200C, I got a layer split. Now I'm up to 218. I dont have the split any more but I see that the problem persist. Also, I noted that the split is always aligned with an opening of the side. See the pictures....

With this print, the lines were aligned with the front opening. With a previous print, the lines were aligned with the opening on the right side. It is quite strange that the defect is aligned with the opening. I cannot figure out why. And only happening in quality 0.16. I didn't try 0.12 as it already take 14 hours to print... I want to finish before Christmas ;-)

Thanks for help

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not surprised you see lines that line up with a change in geometry of the print. I have seen it too. Now, I only started 3D printing in June, so I'm pretty new to it as well. If I'm not mistaken, what you're seeing is called ringing. You could try looking that up. I'm not sure what causes it, nor how much can be done to overcome it. I do gather that the type of 3D printer being used has something to do with it.

You might find this video helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnvj6xCzikM
    Last edited by Ender5r; 11-29-2020, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Wow... Thanks Ender5r. There is a lot of info in that video. May be too much for my english. I can't follow everything this guy is saying. I'll put my hope on someone here giving me a clear clu ;-)

Thanks again.

Comment

If you don't mind what is your native language (and please don't say Klingon )?

Also, if you can specify a particular point in the video in minutes:seconds, I can view it and see if I can rephrase it another way.

Comment

French. ;-) Looking at some "rigning" problems on the net, it doesn't seem to be exactly my problem. The rigning seems to be more like a patern repeating itself. My problem is more on level shifting I think.

Comment

Ah. Bonjour (no, I'm not fluent, but I know some phrases, like fixer mon windshield wiper ).

From what I've seen posted in this forum, layer shifting seems to be mechanical (mostly). The experts here tell people to check things like belt tension or loose guide wheels; basically any mechanical part that could be loose or out of alignment.

Comment

Yes I saw these hints, and I've checked. The hardware seems to be ok.

This link: https://all3dp.com/1/common-3d-print...rinter-issues/
              is pretty good in helping finding problems. But none are axactly like that. Weird.

Comment

The line change, when openings are involved, are created by Cura (and probably other slicers). It gets triggered by the z-seam position, which is usually on the "sharpest edge". So the nozzle travels to a fix point, raises the nose and starts a new layer. The introduction of the opening changes the travels and behaviour and that is causing the horizontal "stripes", next to the opening. The lines get printed differently than the others. Usually from the fixed point to the gap, travel back and the other way around to the gap again, while before it was a perfect straight all around.

You can avoid those by changing the z-seam option to random, so the travelling is different on each layer and not as visible on layers having a gap. Activating z-hop is also a good idea to avoid reheating plastic while travelling.

A side effect is, that all lines could look messy from the bottom up, as they all get printed slightly differently.
                Last edited by Geit; 11-30-2020, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Interesting. I've never heard of this issue. Certainly good to know. And, from your description, it seems like it would be a good idea if slicers made it so the hotend printed up to the gap, skipped the gap distance, then continued on in the same direction, of does that lead to another, worse, issue?

Comment

This makes a lot of sens. Thank you.

Originally posted by Geit View Post
                    You can avoid those by changing the z-seem option to random
                    HTML Code:
                    In Cura, what is this option called? I cannot find it.

Sorry... Found it. Thanks
                    Looking forward to try it now.

Last edited by guytas; 11-29-2020, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by guytas View Post
                      This makes a lot of sens. Thank you.

HTML Code:
                      In Cura, what is this option called? I cannot find it.

Sorry... Found it. Thanks
                      Looking forward to try it now.
                      Its z-seam alignment

Comment

ok, by the definition in the popup of Cura, this z-seam may cause a vertical line. My lines are horizontal. I understand the seam thing now and I dont beleive this is related. The z-hop is interresting but I still dont think it is the problem here.

Looking closely at my print, it is almost like if for 4 layers, the bed would have shifted a tiny bit to the left and to the rear. Then after these four layers, it came back at the right place. But this is also coiciding with an opening on the side, and also only when I set the Quality to 0.16

Comment

You keep mentioning 0.16 layer height. What other heights have you tried?

Comment

.20 and .28 are fine. I didn't dare trying the .12 yet

Comment

I think 0.12 is your next move.

Comment

Working...
                              X