Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prevent print from lifting?

What's the best way to prevent this?

What filament? I had a little warping like this (not as severe) recently. I got around it by increasing bed temp and using glue stick (UHU) to stick the print to the bed.

Comment

Im using Overture PLA. My Bed is at 70 C and hot end at 210

Comment

It was quite far into the print before this happened some time while I was sleeping
        Could it bee room temperature dropped causing this?

Comment

Looks like you have a brim on that print. Interesting that it warped even with a brim.

My understanding is temperature variation can cause warping, and that's why enclosures are recommended for filaments like ABS & Nylon.

I didn't notice any kind of adhesive on the bed. Have you tried glue stick?

Comment

I had a brim. When I went to bed it was already 10 hours into the print and all was fine. I guess the temperature dropped in the room. It's cold here in Canada. I haven't tried using a glue stick yet.
            I may buy an enclosure. This is a 2 day print im doing

Comment

You could use a large cardboard box, or construct one, to temporarily cover the printer. I've seen it done on YT & also read about it.

Comment

Yeah - I may try that first

Comment

It should help at least test the hypothesis without spending any money. Here's another thought: if you have a small table that's big enough for the printer to fit under it, you could put the printer there and cover the table with a blanket.

Comment

Is anyone ever worried about starting a fire. I was just googling that and it does happen

Comment

From what I've seen, the fires come primarily from thermal runaway of the hotend, which doesn't happen much now because the firmware has code that protects against it. For example, if the thermistor failed, the firmware would not be able to monitor the temp of the hotend. After 20 seconds of this, it would cut power to the hotend and display a thermal runaway message on the LCD.

But, like you, I would wonder. So, I would start the print early in the morning on a day when I can be in close proximity to the printer all day. I would keep an eye on it, and take note of the temp in the enclosure several times. All this would give me a level of understanding about how the enclosure performs and what the environment inside is like. The more experience I garner with it, the more comfortable I could afford to be.
                      Last edited by Ender5r; 11-20-2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Fire is quite unlikely. When the electronics or the power supply are causing a fire, it is possible, but from the nozzle or the bed I don´t think so.

What would happen? The heater would heat up until it falls of the print head. It ether lands on a glass bed or a metal sheet. But that is already the worst case as the wires are keeping it from falling. If the wires short or somehow fail, the heater gets turned off.

There is this story about a house burning down due to a 3d printer. Well, that specific story was because the printer was running next to magic fire paper, which got ignited.

However. Even if that is not true. How many homes burn down due to a random house hold item? Even those cases are more in our mind than 3d printers.

The media is picking it up, as it is interesting, it is kind of new and not because it is common.

As long as you don´t keep explosives, fuel or other materials next to the printer it is as save as a toaster or electric grill.
                        Last edited by Geit; 11-21-2020, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Yes. If you use acetone on your prints near your printer, or alcohol to clean your print bed, be sure to keep them stored away from the printer when not using them.

Comment

Working...
                          X