Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ender 3 V2 Filament always Jams at Extruder

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ender 3 V2 Filament always Jams at Extruder

    Hello everyone,
    in the attachment you will find a photo of my problem.
    The filament jamt always on top of the extruder and gets wedged.
    This usually occurs in the middle of the print (after some time like 2 hours)

    I recently had my Ender 3 V2 exchanged by Amazon and the second model has exactly the same problem (right at the first print).

    I have already done the following.
    - exchanged the plastic extruder for an aluminum one
    - Exchanged the PTFE tube (of course, make sure that it sits tightly in the hotend on the nozzle)
    - Printer swapped
    - different (new!) filaments tested
    - A filament guide attached (so that it does not bend)
    - Temperatures from 180 C° to 220 C° for the nozzles and heating bed from 50 to 60 C°
    - The filament holder page changed
    - Nozzles exchanged (multiple)
    - Bed Leveling changed from "tight to very loose

    I currently print via Octopring (Raspberry Pi 3b)

    I am absolutely at the end of my Latin... no idea what else you can do. More people should have the same problem with Ender 3 V2 or not?
    How can I unpack and set up 2 new printers and both have the same problem?

    Best regards

    Roman

  • #2
    Hmmm, interesting problem. My 1st thought is to find out if there's a lot of resistance through the Bowden tube to the hotend. First, I disconnect the Bowden tube from the extruder. Next, I move the hotend to sit over the center of the bed, and the Z axis 100 mm above the bed. I heat the hotend up to around 230C, feed filament through the Bowden tube and try to push the filament through the hotend. If I find it too difficult to get filament through the hotend, I look at the hotend to see what might be going on.

    Comment


    • #3

      It sounds like the problem is the hotend itself. Ether the ptfe tubing in the heatpipe is worn out (melted, burned due to too high temperatures) or the temperature in general is not high enough and when printing fast (e.g. straight lines) the head cools to much and the filament stalls, the extruder grinds away the filament between the gears and when the temperature caught up, the gears cannot touch it anymore.

      Comment


      • #4
        So just at dinner I thought about it again. In general I think that the fan at the hotend (which always gives 100%) could be the problem.
        What if it cools "too much"?

        Comment


        • #5
          If it actually was to much and the part cooling fan is blowing onto the heating block, the firmware would freak out and terminate the print. Also the fan is usually on at 100% after the first layer any way. The problem would happen far earlier than mid print. Most printers also only know on or off anyway.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hmm okay, I just installed a new tube, built up a lot of pressure at the hotend between the nozzle and the tube (unscrewed the tube holder a little bit and screwed it tight with the tube) and will test it again

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bCyberRoman View Post
              So just at dinner I thought about it again. In general I think that the fan at the hotend (which always gives 100%) could be the problem.
              What if it cools "too much"?
              I have the ender 3 V2 (and many others) and have had a problem with the hotend fan but it's been the reverse of that as it's bearings go out and quit working causing terminal run away. Does the hotend temperature stay were you set it? If so then it's not going to be the hotend fan. If any thing that fan is weak.

              Usually this problem is either hotend clogs, nozzle to close to the print bed, PTFE tube (I replaced the stock tube with a capricorn tube) or your Pneumatic Fittings (the stock ones are crap) are allowing the PTFE tube to slip and cause problems that way.. But sounds like you have checked all or most of that but might be worth it to recheck them again. I have the same (or similar extruder https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) so don't think it's that.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bCyberRoman View Post
                Hello everyone,
                in the attachment you will find a photo of my problem.
                The filament jamt always on top of the extruder and gets wedged.
                This usually occurs in the middle of the print (after some time like 2 hours)

                I recently had my Ender 3 V2 exchanged by Amazon and the second model has exactly the same problem (right at the first print).

                I have already done the following.
                - exchanged the plastic extruder for an aluminum one
                - Exchanged the PTFE tube (of course, make sure that it sits tightly in the hotend on the nozzle)
                - Printer swapped
                - different (new!) filaments tested
                - A filament guide attached (so that it does not bend)
                - Temperatures from 180 C° to 220 C° for the nozzles and heating bed from 50 to 60 C°
                - The filament holder page changed
                - Nozzles exchanged (multiple)
                - Bed Leveling changed from "tight to very loose

                I currently print via Octopring (Raspberry Pi 3b)

                I am absolutely at the end of my Latin... no idea what else you can do. More people should have the same problem with Ender 3 V2 or not?
                How can I unpack and set up 2 new printers and both have the same problem?

                Best regards

                Roman
                Might want to drop the gear in your extruder down somewhat i might be wrong but looks like its a little to high up. Just a thought.

                Comment


                • #9
                  So I just exchanged the following:
                  - Fittings
                  - PTFE Tube
                  - Nozzle
                  I also went through the hotend several times with a piece of PTFE tube to clean it, but there was no dirt on it.

                  I am curious and start printing.

                  One thing just came to my mind.
                  I recently printed the "Testboot" 2 times, once successfully and once with the Jam Problem.

                  The bot that was successfully printed has a very smooth surface on the outside.

                  The boat, where the jam problem appeared on the roof, had a very rough and unclean surface.

                  Maybe the information helps a little bit.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    And again the same mistake... I can't believe it.

                    It's not possible.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I would like to see a pic of the filament where it jams. It sounds like the problem I had.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by roon4660 View Post
                        I would like to see a pic of the filament where it jams. It sounds like the problem I had.
                        Check my first Post, there you can see the jamed filament

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Those are lowsey extruders. I am on my third extruder. The one I use now has a drive on both sides I think that one has a drive on one side and an idler on the other.
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I see it's not available but there are others. I have an ender 3 pro.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What is happening at the hot end? Is there any problem heating up the hot end and pulling out the filament. If not maybe you don't have the gears on the extruder at the right height.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X