Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiling MARLIN errors....

Hi friends!
    I've build several FFF ( Core XY ) printers by using RERAP firmware in DUET boards.
    Recently i decided to compile MARLIN firmware via VSCode / Platformio for my SKR V3.0 board. Every time i try to click for compiling, Plaformio finds errors in scripting just like in the attached pictures. If some of you guys is familiar with VSCode, will see what i mean.The version of VSCode is the recently updated one. I tried to reinstall the older version, but no luck. The problem continues. I tried to get any help from FB forums and nobody could give me any appliable help. ( all steps were taken one by one carefully according manuals).
    Can anybody help me on this please?
    Thank you for your time.
    Vassili
    Thinking simple is the hardest way.....

I have little to no knowledge about how to do this, but everything I have seen has been about using Arduino IDE to compile Marlin firmware.

Comment

• Vassili Finellis
      Vassili Finellis commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, i'll give it a try!

Hi,
    I have recently tried VS Code and also ran into problems. Every time I attempted to follow an example from one of the well known YouTubers, it would fail with similar problems. So started at square one and tried to compile Marlin with as shipped download defaults. Finally got one to work. Then started making my own changes (one at a time and compiling between each change). Slowly I was able to build a successful system. Then I noticed there were updates to VS Code. After updating, I re-started VS but again had the same errors. Then out of frustration, thought about re-booting the computer and son of a gun, it started compiling without error.

So just a thought, try re-booting your computer and/or trying the default as downloaded and see if maybe it helps.

Good luck as I know your frustration.
    Last edited by Country_Bubba; 06-05-2020, 08:15 AM.
    Country Bubba

Comment

• Vassili Finellis
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, unfortunately, rebooting the system didn't help that much! While restarting VSC, everything seemed to b fine till i just click on the script and the error scanning begins with the knows issues AGAIN! Spending some hundreds of Euros to buy Duet was not on my options yet. If i don't find any solution for VSC, then i'll have to spend some!

One thing I found in my trials and tribulations was the errors would always come up when I restarted the program until I tried deleting that portion of the screen by hitting the X as shown on the right side of the below snapshot:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	VSCode Screenshot.png
Views:	64
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	644
    When I did that, it would clear the cache and I could get some decent results afterwards!

HTH
    Attached Files
    Country Bubba

Comment

• Vassili Finellis
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, i'll give it a try and i'll post the results!

Update:
    Well guys, I've tried almost EVERYTHING trying to compile MARLIN through VSC ( ATOM didn't work at all ) and still finds errors is "exotic" places in the code! So'll install REPRAP in SKR 1.3 with RasPi 3B+ as SBC.
    If everything is ok, then i'll make a new thread about it!

Comment

There where a lot of changes to the build environments. ATOM crashed for me as well after a few seconds using Linux Mint here as Desktop OS.

I used "Visual Studio Code - OSS" just yesterday using "bugfix_2.0.x" repository to compile my printers SKR Pro printer firmware and it worked like expected. In fact it saves so much time by setting up and updating all the required dependencies. You basically open the firmware folder, setting the proper mainboard in the .ini file and the configuration.h and compile.

Having the Enabled() macro failing seems to be a result of a broken SDK setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Geit View Post
        There where a lot of changes to the build environments. ATOM crashed for me as well after a few seconds using Linux Mint here as Desktop OS.

I used "Visual Studio Code - OSS" just yesterday using "bugfix_2.0.x" repository to compile my printers SKR Pro printer firmware and it worked like expected. In fact it saves so much time by setting up and updating all the required dependencies. You basically open the firmware folder, setting the proper mainboard in the .ini file and the configuration.h and compile.

Having the Enabled() macro failing seems to be a result of a broken SDK setup.
        Believe me , i hand no luck of what i tried for!!!!

Comment

Well, basically marlin compiles out of the box using the steps I wrote above, BUT I just noticed something on your screenshots in the first post.

It seems there are greek (whatever) characters in path. This can and probably will cause errors due to missing/broken UTF handling and it probably is the reason for your include problems. Try using some plain named drive or folder to install the sources and the SDK on. It is important that the SDK (VSC in your case) is not part of a UTF infected path, too, as the compilers need system and compiler specific headers delivered by visual code and these will suffer from the same issues.

In user space UTF is usually not a big deal, but when it comes to development tools it is highly recommended not to use other than a-z and 0-9 if possible. I would bet this is the main cause of the issue you are experiencing.
          Last edited by Geit; 07-24-2020, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Geit Interesting. I take it that it's best practice to only run VS from the C: drive? I've run into trouble trying to run some programs from a network share: a number of them don't like it.

Also, I see what you mean by the Greek characters. And, the diagnostic in the middle screenshot literally says, "Please update your include path".

Vassili Finellis, as unfair as it may seem, you have to take into account that MIcrosoft is a US company, and their ability to handle other languages is pretty limited. I concur with Geit: stick with very plain Arabic numbers & English letters. I wouldn't even use symbols. And, I would also ensure that everything is installed & stored on the C: drive; even the files you want to #include.

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
              Geit Interesting. I take it that it's best practice to only run VS from the C: drive? I've run into trouble trying to run some programs from a network share: a number of them don't like it.
              No. But if you use foreign (== non ASCII) characters you may run into issues.

Also, I see what you mean by the Greek characters. And, the diagnostic in the middle screenshot literally says, "Please update your include path".
              Yes and the next line says "E:\Exxxxxxxx\something", where the xxx are the "Greek" characters. I have no clue what language that is, but I have run into similar issues using the German "öäü" and running compilers up the path.

Also it is not necessary Microsofts fault (not that I am a fan or so). It could be the compilers are causing the problem and that usually open source GCC or their interaction with the responsible file system. But yeah. Try to avoid non ASCII stuff and you probably have far less problems. It is one thing to name an jpg with non ASCII letters, but a directory name is multiplying the potential trouble as everything inside may fail, when being accessed.

Comment

• Vassili Finellis
                Editing a comment
                This Exxxxxx is Έγγραφα ( 'Engrafa ) and means Documents

Also it is not necessary Microsofts fault (not that I am a fan or so). It could be the compilers are causing the problem and that usually open source GCC or their interaction with the responsible file system. But yeah. Try to avoid non ASCII stuff and you probably have far less problems. It is one thing to name an jpg with non ASCII letters, but a directory name is multiplying the potential trouble as everything inside may fail, when being accessed.
              Ah, I see. I have not used VSC. I just checked: I was under an incorrect assumption about it. I thought, since it came from MS, that VSC must be a compiler. I see from Wikipedia that it appears to be only a source code editor. Is that your understanding? If so, which compilers do you believe are the most popular?

Comment

Ah, I see. I have not used VSC. I just checked: I was under an incorrect assumption about it. I thought, since it came from MS, that VSC must be a compiler. I see from Wikipedia that it appears to be only a source code editor. Is that your understanding? If so, which compilers do you believe are the most popular?
                I guess it is using GCC like nearly everything these days. The PPC operating system (MorphOS), which I am developing along a group of nerds, is using modified GCC compilers as well. Over the years GCC got more and more advanced.

Comment

You're working on an OS? I haven't done that since the 70s.

Edit: I just checked on morphOS. That's quite a task you've got. It's a pretty specialized OS. I wish you very good luck with it.
                  Last edited by Ender5r; 07-24-2020, 04:32 PM.

Comment

You're working on an OS? I haven't done that since the 70s.
                    Yeah, for 15 years or so. It is quite neat when you are able to fix and change the OS in the way you want it to be and not being forced to take what you get

http://morphos.de

I am born in the 70th, so I started software development on a 4 bit home computer.

Originally posted by Vassili Finellis View Post
                    Can anybody help me on this please?
                    Just a small note that came up today. Windows is bad

It has a command line limit of 32768 chars and even if you can build all source files depending on the source of your marlin sources, the linking process will fail as - at least with the bugfix-2.0.x version - has so many new files that linking them creates a command line beyond that limit and windows fails to execute.

Even if the non bugfix edition works now, it may fail once the bugfix edition get the new stable.

There is no easy and proper way around this for the end user yet. The real fix needs to come from microsoft or a rewrite of the makefile of marlin could fix the issue. The latter is what your hopes should rely on, but you need someone willing to "fix" a working thing, which in my experience is highly unlikely "as you can do it on your own, if you have a problem with it".

The best way to avoid the trouble is using a mac or linux. You may try a virtual linux on windows, but as you may notice this needs additional work and may cause additional trouble.
                    Last edited by Geit; 07-24-2020, 05:44 PM. Reason: added windows 32768 command line limit

Comment

Well, basically marlin compiles out of the box using the steps I wrote above, BUT I just noticed something on your screenshots in the first post.

It seems there are greek (whatever) characters in path. This can and probably will cause errors due to missing/broken UTF handling and it probably is the reason for your include problems. Try using some plain named drive or folder to install the sources and the SDK on. It is important that the SDK (VSC in your case) is not part of a UTF infected path, too, as the compilers need system and compiler specific headers delivered by visual code and these will suffer from the same issues.

In user space UTF is usually not a big deal, but when it comes to development tools it is highly recommended not to use other than a-z and 0-9 if possible. I would bet this is the main cause of the issue you are experiencing.
                      Yes it's Greek. The first time i had compiled succesfully from the same paths. While i had to change some settings, since then.... errors.

Comment

Working...
                      X