PETG fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PETG fail

Ender 5 PPRO. I printed with PLA and it worked perfectly. But I failed to print PETG.
    I followed the instructions here:
    https://all3dp.com/2/petg-print-sett...ings-for-petg/
    The last failed print was at 245 degrees. I will try another 250. Can Ender 5 PRO print PETG? Did anyone here manage to print PETG? The PETG filament is from Prusa.

I have printed PETG on my E5P. I printed a few temperature towers. They're not pretty, but they're getting there. Since I'm currently dealing with a Y axis issue, I've switched back to PLA for now.

Which, BTW, leads me to a question for you. Have you had any issues with your Y axis suddenly and randomly quitting in the middle of a print? It's an issue a number of Ender 5 Pro users are experiencing. Have a look here: https://community.octoprint.org/t/y-axis-randomly-stops-mid-print-ender-5-silent/

Here's a photo of 2 attempts to print a lithophone, the left 1 vertically, and the right one horizontally. In both cases the Y axis stopped moving, leading to filament buildup in 1 plane.

Here's another photo that shows it pretty clearly:

Comment

I did a video about printing PETG and used an Ender 5, an ANET ET4, and a Monoprice Ultimate 2 for test prints. They all were successful. Here is the video:

Comment

I have no problem with the Y axis.
        But I found the problem. The extruder could not pull the filament. Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/A3kLkkkSu4XdUHBa6
        After that ai print fine with PETG.

The problem is, I don't know how I solved it. I disassembled the extruder and put it back. I didn't do anything to him. Then it went. However, I reduced the print speed and reduced the ventilation.

Last edited by Leo; 06-05-2020, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• irvshapiro
          irvshapiro commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to hear. I might recommend going forward to try and change one thing at a time. I often fail to take that advice myself, always in a hurry, but it makes it easier to track changes.

Man, those are some ugly cats 😂

Anyway, taking the extruder apart & reassembling it could well have freed up some 'sticking point' in the unit. My extruder started making occasional squeaking noises, almost like a bird's mating call. I removed the idler wheel, put some sewing machine oil on the bearing and the noise has stopped.

Comment

I found the problem. The Capricorn tube is not properly mounted in the extruder. It has a space and it is clogged. I disassembled it and reassembled it in the right place. It was very difficult to remove the Capricorn tube that was stuck in the hotend. I'm going to test.

Comment

Did you try to remove the tube with the hotend hot, or cold?

Comment

The first time it was cold and I didn't succeed. Second time hot!

Comment

Yah. Trying to remove 'cold' is a wee bit difficult 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
                  Man, those are some ugly cats 😂
                  They are beautiful cats to me !

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post

They are beautiful cats to me !
                    Hey, ugly can be beautiful 😃

Comment

PLA works perfectly. PETG gives me a headache. And I need PETG

Comment

I have done my first prints on an Ender 5 (not Pro) in the past couple of days. I have an old roll of amazon basic and the temp recommendation is 230-240 and according to the 3dp reference above, bed temp was set to 70. As I was in a hurry, didn't do a temp tower and just did a cube. It worked great. Then came the real part and as it was larger, couldn't get good adhesion on the factory magnetic bed. So upped the bed temp to 85 and the hot end to 235 after a couple more trials. Been working ever since.
                        Country Bubba

Comment

In the end I managed to print well with PETG (from Prusa), at 260 degrees !!!
                          The main problem skipping the extruder. The spring was too tight. I solved this problem by cutting a coil from the spring.
                          PLA goes with the default settings from PrusaSlicer, without problems.
                          Attached Files

Comment

After automatic bed leveling.
                            PETG - 260 degrees
                            https://photos.app.goo.gl/QncTcTG3mA4YZiZ1A

Comment

Working...
                            X