Octoprint issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octoprint issues

At a bit of a loss on this one. It has been working but I shut down for a few says and when I came back and tired on the Octiprint I get the message below.

Did you use a 9600 baud rate before?? That's awfully slow (mine's 115200). Any intelligible responses in the terminal window?

Also, are there any entries other than AUTO in the drop down menu for the serial port?

Cheers

Comment

• MarcSchuh
      MarcSchuh commented
      Editing a comment
      I have tried different boud rate with no luck. The only setting for serial port is Auto I rally don't see any response at all for the window.

That's weird, given you had it working. The Pi isn't seeing the printer at all. Does the Pi run on a 3A power supply? Have you tried a different USB cable? Have you tried different power on sequences for the Pi and the printer (I recall some printers need to be turned on before or after the Pi is powered on -- forget the order, sorry)?

If those do not work, connect to your Pi via SSH and login (default username: pi, default password: raspberry). Then:
    • Plug the printer in.
    • Run dmesg. Attach the output.
    • Run lsusb. Attach the output.
    Cheers

Comment

• MarcSchuh
      MarcSchuh commented
      Editing a comment
      I did change out the out the USB cable with one that is made for this. I will give the rest of those things a try.

Some USB cables are only made to charge devices and not to transfer data. Make sure you use one that can transfer data (all 5 wires are connected through the cable)

Comment

Originally posted by MarcSchuh View Post
      At a bit of a loss on this one. It has been working but I shut down for a few says and when I came back and tired on the Octiprint I get the message below.
      I am using OctoPrint since day #1 in 3d printing as I hate dealing with ySD cards.

The baudrate thing in OctoPrint is broken like hell. The only way to get this to work is compiling the firmware using 115200 baudrate as default in the firmware of a modern marlin version. On my other printers with stock firmware I must use AUTO. Even so it will turn to the detected baud rate, a reconnect never works for me. I always need to reset the cycle gadget back to auto mode before doing a connection.

I don´t know if this is the printers firmware mixing bits and fail to reply properly or if it is a problem with OctoPrint. 500000 is also a completely broken and non standard baud rate, which may cause additional trouble. It is far beyond requirements anyway, so if you compile your own firmware use 115200 as default to avoid the hassle in the first place.

Do not use the auto connect and save detected baud rate features as it most likely will fail on second run and you need to tune to auto again anyway.

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      Did you use a 9600 baud rate before?? That's awfully slow (mine's 115200). Any intelligible responses in the terminal window?
      It is not. It is slow for transfering Internet pages, but not for commands which are just small text lines and which take the printer several seconds to perform. Just remember by default the printer in normal cases has only space for a few bytes anyway and the baud rate is more than 2K per second. Also remember most printers are still using 8 bit hardware and are set to 500000, which is insane.
      Last edited by Geit; 10-20-2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Yes, people today assume 9600 BAUD must be too slow to do anything. Of course, that's completely wrong. For text applications (Kermit, telnet, even Pronterface) 9600 is totally OK. It was the standard rate I used for years. Heck, I used to use modems at 110 & 300 BAUD. I remember what a big deal it was for downloading files when we finally got 1200 BAUD modems (or course, right near the end of a long download someone would pick up the phone and completely wreck the download).

MarcSchuh, if you had it working with a specific USB cable, and it doesn't with a different cable, why not go back to the original, working cable, at least as a test?

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
          Yes, people today assume 9600 BAUD must be too slow to do anything. Of course, that's completely wrong. For text applications (Kermit, telnet, even Pronterface) 9600 is totally OK. It was the standard rate I used for years. Heck, I used to use modems at 110 & 300 BAUD. I remember what a big deal it was for downloading files when we finally got 1200 BAUD modems (or course, right near the end of a long download someone would pick up the phone and completely wreck the download).

MarcSchuh, if you had it working with a specific USB cable, and it doesn't with a different cable, why not go back to the original, working cable, at least as a test?
          Ok i am going to date myself here but i used to run one of the first BBS and was using a 300 baud acoustic.modem (all they had back then) Can remember having to grab the phone receiver when it rang and place it on the pads of the modem 😏 Had a commodore 64. Had to upgrade to a new computer before i ran the bbs because my Vic 20 didn't have enough memory to run it. Smarted out with a TRS-80 Model 1
          Last edited by Larry; 10-20-2020, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• MarcSchuh
            MarcSchuh commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Guys I got it working. I had to do things a bit backwards. I had to disconnected the USB turn off the Raspberry PI turn off the printer. Then to get it to work I had to start the printer then turn on the Raspberry PI then plug in the the USB. Go figure. lol. Now if I can just get the Anycubic Max bed leaved I would be golden. But that is another story. Thanks for all you help everyone.

• Ender5r
            Ender5r commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to dial into those BBS'. Also, I did a little coding on Modem7, ModemY, and Modem12.
        Working...
        X