Cura Slicer Secret for Perfect 1st Layer Prints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cura Slicer Secret for Perfect 1st Layer Prints

I watched (several times) the video - Cura Slicer Secret for Perfect 1st Layer Prints - on YouTube and tried to use the same settings as shown on my CR10 v2.
    However, there is obviously something not quite right my end, as the resultant print was very different - I fact I would say it is a mess!
    Would appreciate any useful comments etc.
    Many thanks

This was me a week ago! I was getting great prints with a raft, but the brim lines warped and even the skirt lines didn't stick. If you haven't seen it, check out our host's video. I printed his test STL repeatedly, reducing the Z-offset until the extruded plastic lines stuck to the print bed. I'm now using only a wipe line and 2 skirt lines (for diagnostic purposes). I still need to fine tune the offset distance a bit but maybe this experience will help.

Cheers

Comment

• mariner
      mariner commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that useful info. I will keep trying and adjusting. Thanks again much appreciated.

I would guess you have a number of problems not related to combing.

1. Make sure your bed is properly leveled. If you have the auto bed leveling upgrade make sure you follow the instructions that came with it and then set the Z offset. When printing use the live Z offset adjusting to fine-tune this value until you CANNOT rub the print as it prints the first layer off the bed. If you are using manual bed leveling double check that when you try to move the paper (I use a post-it note) under the nozzles there is resistance. It should not move freely.

2. Double-check you are using a current version of Cura and the current CR10 profile. It looks like this print is under extruding. Make sure the temperature is high enough for the filament you are using.

Overall the combing adjustment is the final step in perfecting your prints. I believe your issues are with more basic settings.

Comment

• mariner
      mariner commented
      Editing a comment
      I have followed the exact instructions - 8 times now and each time I get a different result in the Z axis offset. Very odd, to me anyway.
      Looking at the various videos on the subject, I feel the waters get very mudied at times, especially for newcomers to this hobby.

This was my first print on CR 10 mini. A two dimensional benchy. What happened?

Comment

• bspill
      bspill commented
      Editing a comment
      Mariner
      Check the power wires to your moters. I found the wire to the X axis motor had pulled loose.
Working...
X