I think maybe my control board is dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think maybe my control board is dying

Been an interesting few days. I mentioned in another post that my printer has started doing a weirdness: every 2nd print, or nearly every 2nd one, instead of actually printing, it just sits at the home position and spits out filament as fast as it can, so fast the extruder chatters. If I power cycle the printer, or cause the controller to reset by unplugging the USB cable then plugging it back, the next print will virtually always work. Obviously though, it does mean something is off, but what?

Today I got to tracking it down. There were several candidates:
    1. the printer's controller (some of you may recall me mentioning how I accidentally let some of the magic smoke out a couple of months ago);
    2. the Surface Pro I've been using to control the printing;
    3. the installation of Cura (maybe something got corrupted?).
    To address item 2, I did a fresh install of Cura on another computer and tried test prints. Again, every couple of prints, or so, it would just spit out filament. Resetting would fix it, for a while.

However, with the new computer, a new problem occurred: the printing would pause, for no known reason, for 3 or 4 seconds, then pick up again.

In any case, it was clear that the Surface Pro is not the source of the problems. And, since it was a fresh install of Cura, with fresh profiles from CHEP, it wasn't Cura either.

Pehaps it printing over USB that's the problem. Nope: reverting back to micro SD card has the same problem.

So, I think that pretty much nails it: it's the control board.

I'm also wondering if this issue is responsible for some of the ugly prints I've been getting yesterday & today:

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3430.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	777.8 KB
ID:	2719Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3426.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	840.5 KB
ID:	2721Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3431.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	793.1 KB
ID:	2720

The first 2 photos are the edge that was closest to the front of the printer. The 3rd photo is of the item opened up (it's a wiring bracket for network cabling). Notice, in the 3rd photo, all the zits/bumps/blobs. I tried playing with the retraction. Turning it completely off was the best (the 3rd photo).

Bottom line: I think I'm going to have to get a new control board. Obviously I want a 32-bit board, but which one. I know DrVAX likes the TH3D EZ Lite, and it isa robust board; the only 1 I know of that doesn't have heat sinks on the TMC2208 drivers, because it doesn't need them, the board is desgned that well.

OTOH, as far as I can determine, it doesn't support multiple extruders, something I would like to keep as an option for the future.

Do I go for something like a Duet, which costs more, but does support multiple extruders?

I see on Amazon that BTT 1.3 & 1.4 boards do support multiple extruders, but are they good?

I'm looking for suggestions....

Looking at some of the replacement control board options, I'm leaning more & more toward the TH3D EZ Board Lite, mostly because it's a direct replacement for Creality control boards, so the wiring & firmware configuration are minimal. What do you think?

Comment

Maybe its the firmaware too. HAve you tried to replace the board with Duet?
      Thinking simple is the hardest way.....

Comment

Duet firmware? Honestly, I didn't know they have firmware. I'm currently running TH3D FW. Or are you talking about replacing the controller with a Duet? I haven't, no. I don't have any replacement boards yet. That's why I'm asking for suggestions about which one I should get.
        Last edited by Ender5r; 08-16-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
          Duet firmware? Honestly, I didn't know they have firmware. I'm currently running TH3D FW. Or are you talking about replacing the controller with a Duet? I haven't, no. I don't have any replacement boards yet. That's why I'm asking for suggestions about which one I should get.
          No, Duet WiFi bob. It includes the RepRap firware. easy to configure through WiFi like text uploading. Controll your printer from your Pc. See attachment. Little bit expensive and very reliable.
          Check also here
          https://duet3d.dozuki.com/

Comment

I'm a little confused. What is the relationship between https://duet3d.dozuki.com/ and https://www.duet3d.com/? I've been looking at duet3d.com.

On https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Going...rmware_on_Duet the list of specs you need to know about your printer is pretty wild. I'm not sure where I would locate all that info for an Ender 5.

Related to that, why would the firmware in my printer suddenly start messing up?

Comment

I'm a little confused. What is the relationship between https://duet3d.dozuki.com/ and https://www.duet3d.com/? I've been looking at duet3d.com.

On https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Going...rmware_on_Duet the list of specs you need to know about your printer is pretty wild. I'm not sure where I would locate all that info for an Ender 5.

Related to that, why would the firmware in my printer suddenly start messing up?
              Well, the Duzuki.com is the learning library of Duet3d mainborad ( https://www.duet3d.com/ ). Ender5 is CoreXY architecture that is pretty piece of cake for Duet to controll. check this https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Confi...eCoreXYPrinter

Comment

I think the Ender 5 is a Cartesian XY printer.

Comment

Is Core XY, not Cartesian

Comment

Cosmic rays. That's your culprit. Seriously, have you considered re-installing the TH3D firmware? Just a thought.

Cheers

Edit: Could it be the STL? I have a temperature tower from Thingverse that slices great but I can't print it successfully for some reason. I believe the STL used to make the base is corrupt.
                    Last edited by Alan; 08-16-2020, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vassili Finellis View Post
                      Is Core XY, not Cartesian
                      OK, but this site begs to differ: https://top3dshop.com/blog/creality-...printer-review

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                        Cosmic rays. That's your culprit. Seriously, have you considered re-installing the TH3D firmware? Just a thought.

Cheers

Edit: Could it be the STL? I have a temperature tower from Thingverse that slices great but I can't print it successfully for some reason. I believe the STL used to make the base is corrupt.
                        No, I haven't thought about re-flashing TH3D. Interesting idea. Nothing to lose I guess.

I suspect it's not the STL. I have had problems the past few days with other prints as well. However, I will print something else to check, but maybe try the re-flash first, cause the issue with not starting prints properly is still there.

Comment

Oh! Yes you're right! It's cartesian. From a quick view, i missee it as a core xy. No problem with the Duet board at all

Comment

LOL. No problem. I also thought it might not be Core XY because I suspect it's a fancier system that makers of low end printers can't afford to implement.

Comment

I see on Amazon that BTT 1.3 & 1.4 boards do support multiple extruders, but are they good?
                              Did you try to print via SD card. That would sort out windows, which I count a dangerous since it does its own thing and even reboots when writing CDs with its own desktop software.

The BTT SKR boards are fantastic. I have the Pro version, which supports three extruders. The normal versions support only 2. I won´t go the Duet way. It is expensive and you basically get the same with the SKR boards. You can get a SKR board for around 15 euro in china or 30 euro in Europe.

Also when installing RepRap you have only one binary for your board and configure all features using text files or the web interface. Firmware install is easy, too. Just copy the file to the included SD card, insert it, power it up and done.

Unless you get the SKR Pro, the RepRap is the way to go.

LOL. No problem. I also thought it might not be Core XY because I suspect it's a fancier system that makers of low end printers can't afford to implement.
                              My GeitPrinter is a CoreYX

Comment

Working...
                              X