Lithophane lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithophane lamp

I have decided that I want to make a lithophane lamp with these criteria. The lamp itself would hold lithophane flat panels perhaps 4 inches by 6 inches in a box if you wish with four lithophanes and the supporting structure but perhaps the lithophanes could be changeable and the lamp should be rotatable either by hand or with a slow motor. Perhaps the light and the rotation speed could be controlled and it would be working on batteries with no wires dangling everywhere to give maximum portability. My take-off idea inspiration came from this lamp on thingeeverse but it has many shortcomings in my opinion. I like his light idea and shall order some but it doesn't rotate and I am doubtful that it is very good at all. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1651800 . I think it would be a great present for nearly anybody because of it's ability to be so personalized. And perhaps with the help of this great community we could come up with a great design that I am not really capable of on my own. We will see.

My own feeling is that rectangular pillows are good for "flat sided" litho lamps. For the best viewing overall, I suspect circular lithos give the best results. I also think they offer the greatest potential in that it's possible to tell a story as the litho rotates. Also, if desired, part-circle lithos should be possible. The part circles could be separated by black vertical bars. If the bars are removable/relocatable, different sized part circles could be used, and they could be mixed and matched, as long as the total circumference of lithos & separators matches the lamp's base.

Comment

That sounds interesting. A question of equal illumination throughout. I think I will start by ordering the lamps and printing this lamp just for a point of departure. I was not very impressed by any of the lamps on thingeeverse/ Round cylindrical lamps distort the images too much for my liking even though they would be the easiest.

Comment

One of the ideas for using cylindrical lamps is to get the lighting as even as possible across the litho. I think it is possible to get pretty even lighting with 4 or 6 sided lamps, but I suspect it would take multiple light sources for each side.

Comment

I've got this version that I posted from Thingeeverse printing now and the lights and batteries should come tomorrow. We'll see how it does. It won't be hard to add a spindle underneath and just turn it manually when you want to see another lithophane. I think it will illuminate the four panes with one little lamp.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Comment

I have to wait for the lights and finish printing everything but so far it's looking better than I expected.

Comment

The tricky part is the lithos themselves. It takes just the right photo and treatment to get an image truly suitable for making a lithophane.

Comment

I've made a few of them. They're not too bad. My daughter and her husband like them and they are waiting for a baby in September so it will make a nice gift. It looks like there is no gluing so changing lithophanes will be easy.

Comment

I think you've seen the photo of the one I printed of John Lithgow, the so-called Lithgowphane.

Question: do you print them vertically or horizontally? I printed the Lithgowphane vertically.

Comment

I've done both but decided vertical was best. I don't remember seeing your lithophane.

Comment

I did a search & just realized that I haven't posted a photo of the completed good version of the litho, especially not 1 viewing it as it's supposed to be viewed, so here it is:

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Ender5r; 08-04-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Who is John Lithgow? I just googled him and found out he was born a day after me. I never heard of him before as far as I know.

Comment

He's a pretty well known actor. He was in Mash for several years, as well as 3rd Rock From The Sun, and Dexter. He's done a bunch of other stuff but those are probably his most well known gigs.

Comment

I lived off the grid in the Caribbean for thirteen years and haven;t watched TV since 1980. I don't watch many movies. Once a year I'll watch three in a row and then wait till next year. I try to watch them sometimes but I usually look for a documentary after ten minutes of holywood drivel.

Comment

Working...
                              X