My 1st real, useful print: deck/patio umbrella clamping bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st real, useful print: deck/patio umbrella clamping bracket

I'm sure this will be something of a letdown for some people. "Really, he made an umbrella bracket?! How boring!".

However, this is one of the projects I bought a 3D printer for. I have a number of such projects; ones that will be very useful but cannot be purchased anywhere, because no one makes them. Where on earth would I get a bracket like this, that will fit my umbrellas and my deck rail balusters?

So, first, here are a couple of views from Fusion 360:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	UmbrellaClampV3-04_rear.JPG Views:	0 Size:	31.3 KB ID:	1976Click image for larger version  Name:	UmbrellaClampV3-04.JPG Views:	0 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	1977
    Now, here they are installed:

Click image for larger version  Name:	_MG_3382_UmbrellaClampInstalled-overview.jpg Views:	0 Size:	814.8 KB ID:	1979Click image for larger version  Name:	_MG_3382_UmbrellaClampInstalled-closeup.jpg Views:	0 Size:	661.5 KB ID:	1978

My wife is very happy with them. She wants me to print another couple so she can use them on another umbrella.

A bonus will be to get rid of the rust on the umbrella pole. The pole isn't rusting -- it's aluminum. The rust comes from it's former stand. Hopefully, all I have to do is wipe the pole down.
    I still have to design and print a 'foot' for the pole: one that will hold it the right height off the deck, so the top rail doesn't interfere with the crank. Just about where it is now should be good.
    Last edited by Ender5r; 07-22-2020, 12:11 PM.

That has to be super satisfying. Well done!
    Making on an Ender Pro 3, BL Touch, Octopi

Comment

Nice! Did you print the bolts too?

Comment

Yes indeed. I even knurled the heads for better finger gripping.

Comment

Yeah, thats the right way to do. There is no better feeling than creating or repairing something that would otherwise cost a fortune or got thrown away.

That is what 3D Printing was make for

Nice work.

Comment

Excellent work. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Kudos. I always dream of making things that I "imagine" whether useful or just decorative, and now at the age of 75 maybe I'm just starting.

Comment

It is not that hard and free of any cost. Dr. Vax made some really good videos on how to use FreeCAD. Those are a really good starting point to learn the basics.

Comment

I shall sit down and try to follow his demos when I have a good day and feel I can concentrate.

Comment

Originally posted by roon4660 View Post
                    I shall sit down and try to follow his demos when I have a good day and feel I can concentrate.
                    I have nothing against FreeCAD. I'm just finding F360 somehow more my style. I find the left-hand pane less intuitive than F360's. Also, the jumping around from workbench to workbench has been somewhat frustrating. I'm always trying to remember in which workbench I will find a particular feature: "workbench X doesn't have this feature, but workbench Y does". It does get a little annoying spending more time looking for a feature than actually using it.

Also, I found Paul McWhorter's series, "Learn Fusion 360 or die trying" very helpful in getting started. Like I said, nothing against FreeCAD; F360 is just working better for me, at least at the moment.

Comment

I don’t like Fusion because of it’s closed fashion.

It may be free now. It may be free next year, but what, when they decide it is no longer free? Then all your designs are locked to a software which costs several hundred to a thousand dollar a year. In my opinion they just try to get users into their environment and when the door is closed these users are trapped into paying frequently.

I guess right now fusion is not working with out internet? Usually that’s the first step.

Fusion may be more powerful and more rich feature wise, but FreeCAD is closing in more and more.

Don’t get me wrong. I like the way Fusion looks and works, but tying my work to some company does not feel right.

Comment

Agreed, a certain amount of trust in required. Autodesk has stated that there will always be a free, non-commercial version of F360. You can accept that or not. As far as the designs go, so far mine are all one-offs, meaning I never expect to print them again. However, if Autodesk changes their mind about a free version and I do need to re-print something, I have the STL files.

Comment

Working...
                        X