Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ender 5 Printing Issue

Hello All,

I am totally new to 3D printing, and got into to it to print things for my model railroad. I just acquired an Ender 5 as my first printer. The Dr. Vax test print seemed to print ok, but the squares have a lite cross-hatched pattern on them. I have leveled the bed with a piece of printer paper. When I print anything else, the print head would run across the top of the object being printed. At first I thought it was over extrusion, and re-calibrated the eSteps. That didn't resolve the issue, so I started playing with Z hop and Retraction, as well as print temp. these are the best two print. BTW, I am using the Creality PLA that came with the printer.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Doug Larimore

Welcome to the craft of 3D printing! What slicer are you using and what is combing set to? The test print picture is a bit fuzzy, but printing too close to the bed can cause nozzle clogs and extruder motor stepper skipping which could result in the prints in the other two images. Z-wobble could as well. So, if the printer is extruding ok and you don't observe skipping, some things to check as your printer is new:
    • That the bolts and screws that connect your extruder and hotend to your printer are tight.
    • For rattling in the X-axis carriage.
    • For wobble in your print bed including replacing any bearings and tightening all harnesses.
    • Check that both the X and Y-axis belts have zero droop.
    • Make sure the Z-axis rod is not bent.
    Ender5r

Hope this helps! Hopefully, Ender5r and others who own that machine can weigh in too.

Cheers

Comment

In addition to the things Alan mentioned:
      If the Ender 5 is new, please check the version of Marlin it has installed, and the Z steps/mm. You can do both of these using the LCD display. If the version of Marlin is 1.1.8, I would be looking to change it. I had dropout issues with the Y axis stepper motor with 1.1.8. If the Z steps/mm is set to 400, you almost certainly will want to change it to 800. Print a calibration cube, to check if the dimensions are close to correct, particularly the Z dimension (height).

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
        In addition ... If the Ender 5 is new, please check the version of Marlin it has installed, and the Z steps/mm.
        I forgot about that! Guess I'll have to buy an Ender 5 to commit this to the right brain lobe!

Comment

Hello,
          Thank you for the replies...
          • I am using CURA 4.6.1
          • I have replaced the stock 8-bit board with a TH3D EZ Board Lite running Marlin (2.x) TH3D U2.R1.B3
          • Combing is OFF
          • I get the same results if I use a singe sheet of paper to level the bed, or if I fold the sheet in half and use double thickness.
          • I do not see any wobble of the Z-Axis or bed.
          • I do not notice any belt droop, but will look at You tube to re-tension.
          • All bolts are snug, and not loose.
          • I changed the Z steps/mm to 800, and will reprint the test print, and print a cube. Pictures will follow.
          Is the sample PLA good to use, or should I start using the spool I purchased?

Thank you,

Doug Larimore

Comment

Now I'm jealous. An EZ Board Lite is one of the upgrades I'm hoping to do in the fall or winter.

That said, I agree with you: the DrVAX test print does indeed look pretty good. The light crosshatch pattern, AFAIK, is perfectly normal. The other 2 prints are another story. Let me ask you:
            1. have you done an extruder feed calibration?
            2. have you done a flow control calibration?
            Both of these items have a lot to do with over and under extrusion. For the flow control, I print a 20mm calibration cube, following the settings laid out in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8lieo0Nx8

For extruder calibration, I followed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlSSa19_gMY

Glad to hear you've got the Z steps changed. Now, to fine-tune the Z steps, follow this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlSSa19_gMY

Here's a more general video (but I feel it's worth watching) of things to check & watch out for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qddYsbHawno

And, of course, this post would not be complete without mention of Irv's DrVAX calibration/maintenance video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PChOqIBNwOs

Looking forward to the photos. Remember, photos, or it didn't happen!

Comment

Again, thanks for the help... I did the extruder feed and flow control calibration, and the results are great. The cube is better than the picture reflects, and it is pretty accurate at 20.02 mm x 20.03 mm x 20.08 mm.. The strain relief printed great, compared to the original attempt.

Thank you,

Doug Larimore

Comment

That cube is really accurate. Good job on the calibration. And the strain relief (didn't know that's what it is) also looks good.

Comment

Working...
                X