Poor bottom layers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor bottom layers

Any advice on what is causing the poor first layers, yet fine top layers with the same settings? 5 walls, 5top/bottom layers. Joker printed on his back. Using Cura Slicer on Ender 3 Pro, Glass bed on raft (raft top/mid/bottom layers 0.12mm), 3D Fillies PLA+ 205c 60c 50mms speed, acceleration 500mms jerk 8mms, 0.12mm layer height, number of slow layers 2, Initial layers 25mm print speed - is this the issue? Or Raft Air gap 0.3mm ? Joker had supports under back. Thanks

Side Note: I used both Blender and Meshmixer seperately to make Jokers Arms face down (my son will likely drop him and they will break pretty quick), meshmixer seems to have provided a nicer join.

Comment

It could just be me, but I would have printed this upright on a raft. Not sure if that would make much, if any, difference.

Comment

I tend to print these toys laying down to provide the layers in that direction (makes prints stronger based on layer direction - great test video attached), young kids tend to drop the toys which easily break along layer lines when printed standing up. If i was printing just to display wouldnt be an issue, but i mostly print toys to be played with by my young kids, and some functional pieces.
        I also sometimes get print corners peeling up if printed without a raft to provide better adhesion

Comment

Ah yes, I should have thought of that, especially since I just took that factor into account when printing clips to hold the glass to me heated print bed. It would be particularly true when printing bolts I should think.
          You say the upper layers are separating: have you upped the hotend temp? E.g. Is the PLA temp higher for the first layer or first few layers, then cooler after that?

Comment

its the bottom layers that look really bad, the top layers are great quality,
            the print temp and speed is constant throughout, only thing i can think of it the slower printing speed of the initial 2 slow layers (25mms instead of 50mms), since when i print the other figures laying down eg. turtles laying down, the poor layers are only on the feet very close to the bed, while the back which is sitting on support (roof interface) doesnt have the same poor layers.
            So it is definately not a support connection issue and likely not directly related to the raft itself, but something to do with the base (feet on turtle) on the initial layers

Comment

Perhaps you could lower the overall temp? I never print PLA @ 205C. I'm usually between 185C & 200C. I do have the bed as high as 65C, but that's because I'm printing on glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximo101 View Post
                I tend to print these toys laying down to provide the layers in that direction (makes prints stronger based on layer direction - great test video attached), young kids tend to drop the toys which easily break along layer lines when printed standing up. If i was printing just to display wouldnt be an issue, but i mostly print toys to be played with by my young kids, and some functional pieces.
                I also sometimes get print corners peeling up if printed without a raft to provide better adhesion
                I was thinking that ABS or ASA might be a better option for your kid's toys. As Michael @ TeachingTech says, ABS can be acetone smoother, which leads to smoother, shinier prints, but also ones that a much stronger because the acetone causes the layers to bond together much better.

Comment

I don't really want to get into ABS as I don't have an enclosure. Still need to be tweaking the printer and it's settings for pla. Can't believe I've had it for 4 weeks now, it's been basically printing non stop since I got it.

Tbh my kids don't mind how they look.
                  my 3 year old already lost the joker, printed my remix version with arms down, and the other one will show up! I do like the colour of this filament. It's 3D Fillies PLA+ desert storm,

Comment

LOL, shouldn't you be printing Stormin' Norman??

Comment

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
                      LOL, shouldn't you be printing Stormin' Norman??
                      I dont know who that is

Comment

Stormin' Norman is Norman Schwarzkopf, the general who led the American troops in the 1st gulf war: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Schwarzkopf_Jr.

Comment

Fair enough, I'm Australian so had no chance with that reference. We have red back spiders, huntsman spiders, tiger snakes and drop bears in our backyard, literally. At least there is no crocodiles within my local area

Comment

I am a little surprised you haven't heard of Schwarzkopf. Is it possible you're too young to remember the 1st gulf war? I ask because I would have said, at the time (1991), that practically everyone with a television would know who he is. The war was everywhere on TV around the world, so Schwarzkopf was too, because of his daily briefings.

Comment

I was 6 in 1991

Comment

Working...
                              X