Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ender 5 Pro Woes

Greetings Everyone,

I am a complete newbie when it comes to 3D Printing. I just bought my first printer, the Ender 5 Pro. I assembled it yesterday and I am having a rough time getting off the ground, so to speak. I have uploaded pictures of my 2 attempts thus far.

I did some research, and asked elsewhere, and it appears I may be the victim of some bad firmware settings. Apparently I could be affected by a failure of Creality quality control. I am told I need to change the steps on the z axis from 400 to 800.

Trouble is, I do not know how to go about this exactly. I come from a technical background, so firmware flashing is not at all a new concept to me. I just need a little step-by-step guidance on how to fix this.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

-Rob

You've come to the right place my friend because, I too, have a technical background, and I got my Ender 5 Pro in May! I have suffered the same issues as you, and more.😀
    First, please see this thread: https://forum.drvax.com/forum/3d-pri...-issue-warning. That thread also makes reference to this one: https://forum.drvax.com/forum/3d-pri...ilt-bootloader.

As you'll read in the second link, I flashed the mobo with TH3D firmware (https://th3dstudio.zendesk.com/hc/en...rmware-Package). I recommend it. Everything you need is in the package from TH3D. The process is really pretty simple. Just remember, when in the Arduino IDE they mention clicking the arrow at the top left, they mean the one pointing to the right. Oh, BTW, it's completely free.
    And, yes, you do have to change the Z stepper value from 400 to 800 (I have several squashed looking 3D Benchys to prove it). This can be done interactively by issuing G-code commands from a terminal app such as Pronterface (search it: you'll have no trouble locating it). You'll need to issue an M92 Z800 (to change the Z stepper value), followed by a M500 (to store the value in NVRAM).
    Then, you need to calibrate the Z stepper rate for greater accuracy, but you need to do that as well for the X and Y axes steppers, plus the extruder stepper. All these stepper motors have manufacturing tolerances, and they need to be accounted for. But it sounds like this isn't anything new to you.
    If you're not familiar with G-code, I recommend you start.
    It took me almost 2 weeks to figure out about the flawed firmware. I hope I can shorten that timeframe for you.
    Last edited by Ender5r; 06-25-2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much, Ender5r! You have been the most help to date BY FAR! I will take a look at your links and advice. I SINCERELY appreciate it! I am fairly frustrated right now.

Do you know how, or could you link me to a tutorial to flash back to stock if the TH3D doesn't work out for me? I am still on the fence with returning this unit.

Again, I thank you. I knew "some assembly required" was part of this adventure, but I didn't honestly expect to have to fix major things right out of the box either.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I never looked into flashing back. Normally, I'm very much a have-a-backup-to-the-backup kind of guy, but the stock firmware was so flawed I never considered flashing back. If you read through my posts on this forum, I think they will give you a better idea of what you've gotten yourself into. That said, I am making progress. Yesterday was a good one and today hasn't been bad either. I'm making progress, especially now that I think I've settled on Blender as my model creation tool.
        As far as helping out is concerned, I feel that's one of the greatest benefits of the Internet: everyone can help each other.
        Last edited by Ender5r; 06-25-2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

StarsAndBars Just try the M92 command!

Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
          And, yes, you do have to change the Z stepper value from 400 to 800 (I have several squashed looking 3D Benchys to prove it). This can be done interactively by issuing G-code commands from a terminal app such as Pronterface (search it: you'll have no trouble locating it). You'll need to issue an M92 Z800 (to change the Z stepper value), followed by a M500 (to store the value in NVRAM).
          Then, you need to calibrate the Z stepper rate for greater accuracy, but you need to do that as well for the X and Y axes steppers, plus the extruder stepper. All these stepper motors have manufacturing tolerances, and they need to be accounted for. But it sounds like this isn't anything new to you.
          As Ender5r states above the M500 command saves the new Z-step value to NVRAM. Next time the printer boots, it will remember this value. I mention this in case you are nervous about the TH3D firmware (about which I've heard good things). And, you can always change it back to M92 Z400 if you want to for some reason.* As he mentioned, time to get familiar with g-code!

Cheers

* There are some closed firmwares that do not recognize M500. The M92 command can then be put in the g-start code of the slicer.

Comment

#StarsAndBars The Ender5 machines are a really good design, and once you get past these setup hurdles, it will give you hundreds of hours of reliable printing. I have run mine for 18 months, almost continuously. Sure I have added upgrade and aftermarket parts, some more successful than others, but I am still very happy with the machine and its capabilities. Persevere, there is lots of help here and elsewere to be had.
            MrD

Comment

Working...
            X