Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ender 3 v2 - How to improve top layer & ironing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ender 3 v2 - How to improve top layer & ironing?

Hello! Attached are 3 images. I have an Ender 3 V2 and I'm constantly running into the problem of the top layer having gaps. Also, if I enable ironing, it messes up any letters and still has gaps and very noticeable bumps and lines.
    I use Cura 4.9.1 as a slicer and the standard Ender 3 profile it comes with. I have a BLtouch installed and all other layers look perfectly fine.

Does anyone know what is going on?

How many top layers is the slicer set for? Add 2 to the current setting and do a test print.

Comment

• territorium
      territorium commented
      Editing a comment
      It was set for 6, so I put it on 8. Same result however

• Geit
      Geit commented
      Editing a comment
      Usually a maximum of three is enough to get a smooth top surface. The first is usually sagging a lot, the second a little and the top is fine.

If you want to got for less top layers you need a more dense infill or less temperature at the top to get a more stable and less sagging first (inner) top layer to build the smooth top onto.

You could try increasing the flow rate by 5% & see if it helps.

Comment

• territorium
      territorium commented
      Editing a comment
      Sadly 105% isn't working either. Or do you mean keep increasing with 5% until it works?

I don't think it hurts to try.

Comment

I would suggest uploading one of the stl files, I'll slice it and print it on my Ender3 v2 and see what happens

Comment

• Ender5r
        Ender5r commented
        Editing a comment
        generous offer Gramps

Gramps Thank you, that's very much appreciated!😊 I'm very curious if it's something about my machine or just an ender 3 V2 thing, I never had this on my monoprice select mini I think. I uploaded the xyz cube since I have been trying with this one the last few days as well.
      I uploaded two images as well with my attempts so far for the flow. Ironing as well, this isn't much of a succes yet.
      Attached Files

Comment

I see a marked difference between the 100% & 115% cubes in the photo without ironing. In fact, I would say the 115% cube looks pretty dang good.

Comment

Here's the cal cube printed on my E3v2 sliced with Prusa Slicer Ender3 Pro profile. I've changed the PFTE tube to Capricorn tubing & it has a EXABL leveling probe with solid bed mounts. I've also attached the gcode so you can try it on your printer.
          4 bottom layers
          5 top layers
          0.2 layer height

You might need to change the temp for the PLA depending on what your using.
          Attached Files

Comment

The X side of that cube looks really good.

Comment

Printed another cube with ironing turned on.

Just a thought try upping your filament temperature 5 degrees and see what happens. If it's a little better do another 5 degrees. I don't know what print speed your printing at but I normally print my PLA at 40 mm/s for perimeters & 30 mm/s for Top Solid Infill on my E3v2

Comment

Wow, that ironing looks amazing. 'Course, I'm almost always printing PETG & I don't think it irons as well as PLA.

Comment

Good Afternoon i have an ender 3 v2 with bl touch i recently upgrade my computer to win 10 64 bit professional. I download the latest slicer from creative and begin to have problems. When i first installed the printer i download the marlin software that Dr. VAX did on youtube and it works perfect. i was using windows 7 64 BIT. now when i try to use the original software the computer ask for open GL 2.0 or higher. The new slicer works but think that may be i need to upgrade the marlin software that i installed. Also i try Cura also ask for open GL . Can some one give me some advice? Maybe i need to update my computer. another question that i have if what marlin version to use with the new slicer for the ender 3 v2.

Comment

Originally posted by Heri View Post
                    Good Afternoon i have an ender 3 v2 with bl touch i recently upgrade my computer to win 10 64 bit professional. I download the latest slicer from creative and begin to have problems. When i first installed the printer i download the marlin software that Dr. VAX did on youtube and it works perfect. i was using windows 7 64 BIT. now when i try to use the original software the computer ask for open GL 2.0 or higher. The new slicer works but think that may be i need to upgrade the marlin software that i installed. Also i try Cura also ask for open GL . Can some one give me some advice? Maybe i need to update my computer. another question that i have if what marlin version to use with the new slicer for the ender 3 v2.
                    Have a look at this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/op...ot:overviewtab

Comment

Originally posted by Heri View Post
                      I have the same on my laptop. Cura requires a minimum OpenGL instruction set to work properly. It even has a compatibility mode, which automatically kicks in, when some specific features are missing. You can see you are in compatibility mode, when in preview the bottom slider is missing and there is a textual note in the little popup, where you can turn on/off the line types in preview mode.

You could try to boot LinuxMint and see it that is fixing stuff for you. You just need to copy the LinuxMint image to an usb stick and make it boot. Cura can be downloaded as appimage for linux and there is also no install needed. Just copy it to another usb stick and launch it from the booted LinuxMint. It could be that linux is more tollerant than windows. For sure your computer will get the hell faster and is not obsolete.

Comment

• Ender5r
                        Ender5r commented
                        Editing a comment
                        While what you say is true, getting to know LinuxMint is not for the faint hearted. You are, after all, learning a whole new operating system. Also, resolving OpenGL issues on Windows is not difficult.

PrusaSlicer solves this problem with a new approach they call monotonic infill. Prints produced with the monotonic option for the top layer are the best I have seen.

That is an example of why I use multiple slicers. Each has its advantages and disadvantages and I select the slicer based on the problem I am trying to solve.

Comment

Working...
                      X